February 24, 2013

Review: VEER by Alyssa Rose Ivy



Title: VEER

Author: Alyssa Rose Ivy

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
Only when you let go can you learn to live.

Between the death of her mother and pushing through law school without her best friend, it's been a tough year for Becca. Needing a break from Boston, she moves to a tiny coastal North Carolina town for a relaxing summer. After bumping heads repeatedly with a local cop, she realizes her summer will be anything but quiet.

Three years after a career ending injury ruins his chance to play Major League Baseball, Gavin has a distrust of northerners and lately girls in general. He wants nothing to do with a girl who is only in town for the summer.

When the two give in to their impossible attraction, they realize that they may just have found the key to freeing themselves from the ghosts of their pasts.

My take...
It took me some time to work myself up to read VEER. I wasn't absolutely crazy about DERAILED (book 1 of the series) but I was dying to know what happens with Gavin and Becca. Every time I would pass by it on my nook I knew I just needed to dive in and read the darn thing. But I was scared. There I said it. I was scared the book and me wouldn't connect. But we did and I was so happy I finally decided to read it.

I will be the first to say that I did not like Gavin one bit in DERAILED. I thought he was a bit stalkerish and sort of creepy. But thankfully he seemed to tame his inner stalker and was actually a really good guy to read about. There may have been a sigh or two escape my mouth when reading the story. Dude is way better in VEER than he ever was in the first book. And yes, he finally redeemed himself in my eyes.

I loved Becca's character from the start. There are hints of a scared and troubled past throughout the story and as time went on I just wanted to reach in and give her a big ol' hug. We don't find out the cause of what her constant need for security is until closer to the end, but the buildup and delivery was executed perfectly. Ivy did a great job laying that all out and if made me love Becca’s character even more when all was revealed. I hurt for that girl but also thought that she was such a very strong person too.

I also adored Becca’s relationship with Jake. It just came off very natural and sisterly/brotherly. So any scenes they had together were fun for me. They hit it off from the beginning and I think it was the perfect set up for him to have his own book. He is a great guy that deserves his own story and I am so very excited that WRECKED will be based on him. He is a sweet character and I look forward to knowing even more about him, more than what we’ve already seen in DERAILED and VEER.

VEER is such a good book and I am eager to see what happens next for everyone in Clayton Falls as the series continues. I definitely recommend this read. There is some suspense, a lot of tension, and an abundance of romance. Absolutely my kind of book!

No comments:

Post a Comment