March 11, 2012

Review: Defiance by Shelly Crane

Title: Defiance

Author: Shelly Crane

Source: eARC from author


goodreads...
In the third installment of the Significance series, we begin with Maggie and Caleb in the clutches of a new enemy; the Virtuoso council. Not only do they have to deal with the consequences of taking the lives of the Watsons and the council attempting to take Maggie away to keep their precious Visionary safe, but they must deal with Marla as well. All are determined to undermine, control and use Caleb and Maggie's rare gifts for their own uses, some wish to destroy them entirely. Then Maggie's father and Bish are threatened but the council forbids the presense of humans. Peter and the family fight and stand beside them every step of the way to save Maggie's father, to keep Caleb and Maggie together when the corrupted council is so set on keeping them apart and to stop Marla and whatever she has up her sleeve. Then Maggie has the shock of her life when she discovers something about her real father. It may change everything for everyone. Stay tuned as the story continues.

My Take...
First and foremost I would just like to say thank you to Shelly. She dedicated this book to Gloria, Jennifer and me and seeing that meant the world to me. Sometimes you wonder if what you do in life is seen or heard. And after reading the dedication, not knowing I was even mentioned until I read it, I was blown away. It feels good to feel appreciated.  So I would like to say thank you for giving me a chance to read your work and thank you for being such an awesome author and friend.
I am not going to go into the whole summary of the book, you can read that above. Just know that Maggie is done with the council and their old laws; she is ready for some thing’s to change. Maggie is stepping into her role as Visionary and is gonna kick some rear and take some names. Oh yeah, Maggie is one kick bootie character in Defiance and it suits her.
I pretty much fumed my way through most of the story, not at the actual book or Shelly's writing, but at one particular character...Donald. Boy that dude really irked me! He was a complete jerk throughout the whole story. I think I mentally screamed at him and the council 95% of the book. Hey every story has to have a bad guy right? Well Donald nailed it in this one.
The whole council was a complete joke, kind of like a bad dream you can’t wake up from. You are trying to show people reason and no one wants the listen. If I was Maggie I would have gone insane. I would have liked to B-slap the snot out of a few people too… like Marla, Marcus, and Donald. Oh how the list could go on. But in all honesty, these characters made the story what it is. When you read a book you want turmoil and tension. Without those things a book would suck.
And then there is sweet Caleb, darling as ever. Two words...boxer frickin briefs. Ok so sue me that was 3 words. But holy smokes, Shelly is the Queen of Romance. This lady could probably make mustard sound romantic. Out of all her series, not one scene resembles another. She keeps it all fresh and different. I wish I could describe her latest story in one word but alas it is not possible. Maybe phenomenal? Or remarkable? Fabulous? Yeah all those things and much more!
Shelly you have done it again. Thank you for another brilliant, intense read that consumed me. I love the worlds you create and I need more. Now!

2 comments:

  1. Great Review! I agree with all of it! this book blew my freakin mind! & yes I must confess I read the "shower scene" a few hundred times ;) That's really cool that you were in the acknowledgements! That happened to me a few weeks ago & isn't it one of the best feelings in the whole world?

    Tess @ My Pathway to Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is the best feeling. I have teared up twice now reading it :P

      Delete