May 10, 2012

Review: Bound by Annie Oldham

Title: Bound

Author: Annie Oldham

Source: ebook from author for review

goodreads...

After her mother dies, Elowyn Challis would do anything to bury the pain, but being shipped off to boarding school isn't what she had in mind. Things could be worse. Wyn finds a place for herself in the academy and living in the capital is just sparkling. But under it all, her mother's death still haunts her. Then Wyn discovers a secret that changes everything she believes: the bedtime stories her mother told her as a child are real, the faerie realm exists, and she is the Binder—the one mortal on earth with the power to seal the gate to Fae. It's a power Wyn's not sure she wants or can even wield. But she must confront her nightmares and her grief, or two worlds will be torn apart.

My take...
Just six short months ago Wyn lost her mother and she might as well have lost her father too. He has closed himself off from her and she is left on her own to find a way to forget her mother's death. After unsuccessful attempts Wyn is sent to an all-girls academy and prays no one finds out about her mother and father. Believing she is suffering from the same mental problems that plagued her mother, Wyn struggles to be normal and tries to make at least one friend in Becky. But strange things happen her first night there and seem to get weirder by the second day. Could all the fairy tales her mother once told her actually be true and what does it all mean for Wyn? Take a journey alongside Wyn as she discovers secrets about a magical faerie realm and what role she will play in all of it.
Ok, here is how I work. When I tell an author I will do a review it’s usually about a month or two later before I get to it. So I usually forget what the whole story is about. I do this on purpose so I will be surprised at how the story unfolds. It is actually better for me that way. So with Bound, I had forgotten what the whole gist of the story was and I loved delving in and finding out what all was hidden in between the pages. And you know what I found? Goodness, absolute faery goodness. Oh and don’t forget Brownies, they were there too!
Faeries...oh how I adore thee. Yes, I love a good faery story and Bound is definitely a good one. But I would have loved to seen more about The Fates. Now that was very interesting to me. And the…eh, I better stop there. Don’t want to give anymore goodness away.
Annie Oldham you stole my heart with The Burn and now again with Bound. You know how to write a story that is unique and entertaining; with characters you can't help but root for. I love how your writing is clear and you don’t add a bunch of details that is pointless to a story. You got me…I am a huge fan of your books. Thanks for allowing me to read and review your work. Looking forward to more!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words, Mandy! Definitely made my day to read your review. Love the direction your blog is taking, too!

    ReplyDelete