August 7, 2012

Review: Ruby Blue by Julie Cassar {plus Give@way}


Title: Ruby Blue

Author: Julie Cassar

Source: paperback from Author

goodreads...
Meet Ruby. She’s your average (somewhat dorky) ice-cream eating, garden-loving teenager, who is constantly being annoyed by her little brother, is best friends with possibly the only Goth kid in town and, oh yeah…she sees fairies.

After Nick Martino (possibly the hottest guy she’s ever known) finally asks her out, she can barely manage a two-word sentence when a bizarre incident strikes their lakeside town. Stumbling bare-foot through some interesting dates, will she ever find love? And what does Ruby do when more strange events continue to occur? Will she keep her gift of Fairy Sight a secret? As an ancient myth unfolds and new mystic fairy tales come to life, Ruby and her menagerie of friends tackle some extraordinary circumstances with her very ordinary abilities in this modern day fairy tale. See what legends come to life in “Ruby Blue,” a young adult fantasy fiction novel and the first installment of the Ruby Blue series.

My take...
Ruby Blue is waking up to her first day of summer break. A summer break spent with her friends, 2 who happen to be fairies, and try to earn some money to get a car. The first day of summer seems to be going great. She is getting to hang out at the lake and FINALLY gets noticed by hottie Nick. Yep, this summer is starting out quite peachy for Ruby. Unfortunately, things start getting weird in her small town. Ruby soon learns that the Fae hold some very interesting secrets...some which have escaped out into Ruby's world. Can she help her Fae friends stop this evil or will her summer be ruined before it even gets a chance to start?

This story was a fun read for me. I really enjoyed the whole storyline that revolves around a girl who has the 'sight' to see fairies. A girl who has a very funny inner monologue going on throughout the book; A girl who a lot of girls can relate to. She is just your average girl that loves to hang out with her friends but gets a little tongue tied when it comes to her crush. She is fun and doesn't irk you like some characters in YA books can. I found her to be very amusing.

Now I didn’t really connect with all the characters like I do with some books, but they were fun none the less. And like I said earlier, I found Ruby’s inner monologue to be a hoot. She is definitely your typical-gotta have the last word, if not thought-teenager. Yeah I saw a little of myself at that age in her.

I just adore me a good fairy read and Ruby Blue was just that. Not a lot of heavy drama in it, which was a nice change for me. I enjoy a book every now and then that is quick and light and keeps my interest. I love that the story continues on with more adventures for Ruby and her friends in Deja Blue. So pick out a comfy spot to read and grab Ruby Blue…you will soon become a fan of Julie Casser & Ruby just like me.


Giveaway over





No comments:

Post a Comment