September 17, 2012

Review& Give@way: Blood Singers by Tamara Rose Blodgett


Title: Blood Singers

Author: Tamara Rose Blodgett

Source: ebook from author for review

goodreads...
A sub-species of human beings...

Twenty-year old Julia Wade, a young woman tragically widowed, is in the middle of a bizarre bid between two mythical species who are vying for the unique properties she offers; her blood. The vampires need her to balance the food load of the human species and give them their coveted “Lightwalkers.” The Were wish to be moonless changers; a Rare One can make that a reality.

Julia wants to belong to herself.

Can she free herself and begin a new life?

My take...
I am not sure how I feel about this book. I adore the author's Savage series, but this one had me confused from the very get go. Way too many POV's left me reeling. At first it seemed POV's were separated by different chapters, but then I started noticing a double space between paragraphs was all that separated them. So to say I was confused is an understatement. Why the need for so many POV’s? I see that the author wanted to get many view points across, but 2 POV’s is plenty. More than that makes a story hard to follow. Well in my opinion it does. It may be different for others.

Another thing that had me confused was the back and forth between the past and present. I never really understood it or its need to be done. Too many times I was rolling my eyes each time Julia ‘recalled’ a conversation with someone. I knew then we would be taking back in time to hear what went on. Only to find it wasn’t that relevant. I understand that the author was probably going for the whole ‘flashback’ scenes but to me the story didn’t need it.

What did I like? I loved Julia. I hurt for her when her husband was killed and I hurt when she was kidnapped…many times throughout the book. Each time was just when she was becoming acclimated to her surroundings. Each time she had to learn who held her captive and what they wanted from her. But bless her heart, the girl was like a fainting goat every time she felt threatened.

Did I like the story? Sure I did. Was it my favorite of the year? Nah. But it was good and I enjoyed the storyline. There was just those couple of things standing in its way to make it a really good read. Those few things had me wanting to stop at 80 pages in. But I powered through and enjoyed it. I was not fond of the multiple love interests but I really want to see what develops between Julia and some of the guys. I had high hopes for William, but found myself leaning towards Scott in the very end. So here’s to Blood Song and to the hope that no more guys start vying for Julia’s affection! A girl can only take so much attention. *snickers*

WANT TO WIN Blood Singers? Fill out the form and I will pick a winner on Sept 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment