September 14, 2012

Review & Give@way: Initiation by Imogen Rose



Title: Initiation

Author: Imogen Rose

Source: paperback copy from author for review

Due to some content this book is suitable for mature YA readers.

Amazon  Barnes&Noble

goodreads...
Welcome to Bonfire Academy. Set in the foothills of the alpine mountains in St.Moritz, this exclusive private school caters to a special kind of student. Enter at your own risk... but if you are human, you may not want to enter at all.

This is part one of the prequel series (Bonfire Academy) in the Bonfire Chronicles. Book two, INTEGRATION, will be released summer 2012.


My take...
Initiation is book one to the Bonfire Academy series...which in turn is a prequel series to the Bonfire Chronicles. Please keep in mind; although the book is considered YA… there is mention of sex and some pretty graphic fighting scenes.

Initiation follows Cordelia, a demon, as she starts back to school after classes had been closed down due to a fire. Now that school is back in session Cordelia plans on focusing her attention on tennis this year and her boyfriend Quinn. But not long after being there her plans get changed as she is asked to be a mentor to Faustine, a half human, half demon. When a horrific run in with some shifters happens on the first day, a series of strange events are set into motion. One being Faustine starts disappearing, literally. Now Cordelia must help find out what is going on with Faustine and figure out why she is having some extreme feelings for Jagger who by the way is not her boyfriend.

Ok I really liked this book. I wasn’t blown away by it but it was it was a good read none the less. I found the storyline interesting and had to keep reading to find out why Faustine kept disappearing. I also had to know who this Ryker character was. Mr. Mysterious had me wondering. But what the flip was up with no repercussions for people’s actions? If you try to kill someone they ship you off to another school. And apparently with that epilogue no actions are final. (Like that I added that in there? Yep that will keep you guessing.)

There were a few things I wasn’t wild about though. Like Cordelia’s lack of interest in Quinn’s feelings while she was getting busy with Jagger. Sure she didn’t mind getting it on with him, but when Jagger tells her to dump Quinn…she acted all appalled. Really? I guess if you are a demon your ideas of morals and values are different than that of a regular human. And I really couldn’t figure out why she was keeping Quinn around. They hardly ever saw each other and when they did it was like a brother and sister relationship. Their whole relationship was just kind of odd to me.  *shrugs*

I enjoyed the characters pretty much, but felt some weren’t developed enough to get a good connection with them. Like Quinn, I actually forgot what paranormal he was half way in. There just wasn’t enough detail about him to care what happened to him or not. To me, he felt like an errand boy most of the time.  I did like being in Cordelia’s head throughout the book though. She really is a strong lead character, despite her lack of judgment when it came to Jagger. But can you blame a girl? Jagger is one hot faery!

I hope to be able to read Integration so I can see what comes next for these quirky kids. I also need to know who Cordelia likes as the ending was very vauge as to who she wants to be with. I am hoping Jagger. She really needs to make an honest man out of him *snickers*  

Want to win my copy of Initiation? Just fill out the form. You must have a US addy.
Ends Sept 19th. tweet or facebook the giveaway for an extra entry. 

Giveaway over!


No comments:

Post a Comment