December 7, 2012

Mini Review:Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Title: Obsidian

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Source: bought on B&N

B&N  Amazon  


goodreads...
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

My mini take...
Ok, here is the deal. I liked this book, like alot. But it also drove me nuts. Well actually Daemon drove me nuts. Not since Kiran (Rachel Higginson's Star-Crossed series) have a loathed and loved a character all at one time. I seriously need medication to settle my nerves and straightened myself out. And it is thanks to his character that I might have to put some time in between this book and the next. My nerves are shot and I need rest between Daemon and his bipolar episodes.

I had a few people tell me that the story was too similar to Twilight. I can see a smidge of that, only a smidge. But really, this story held its own. And I found myself thinking about the characters and the story each time I had to put it down. So I was picking it up and reading every chance I could get.

I am not sure, nothing is screaming out at me at the moment, but I believe this is my first alien story to read. I absolutely do recommend this series to anyone looking for something different in the supernatural genre. But I am probably one of the last few readers on earth that has yet to read this series. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't even though it's on the list!! Great Review Mandy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Obsidian and am about half through Onyx. Yes, Daemon does seem a little bit confused about his feelings and behavior, but I just took it as on guard and protective. With the loss of his brother for similar circumstances as he is going through with Katy, I could see it. He redeems himself early on in Onyx. I hope he stays on the path that he is on in the second installment. I think you will like him a lot more. I can't wait to see what you think of it when you get to it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wait till you get to Opal ... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this series and need to he myself a copy of Opal already! Actually, I've really enjoyed every JLA book I've picked up. Her Covenant series is actually my favorite as its got great mythology!

    ReplyDelete