December 11, 2012

Review: EXILED by M.R. Merrick



Title: Exiled

Author: M.R. Merrick

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
Chase Williams is a demon hunter in the Circle, or at least he was supposed to be. On his fifteenth birthday, Chase stepped up to the altar to claim his elemental power, but it never came. Elemental magic is passed down to a hunter through the bloodline, but on Chase's birthday, the bloodline stopped.

Exiled without the Circle's protection, Chase has spent two years trying to survive a world riddled with half-demons and magic. When he has a run in with a frightened and seemingly innocent demon, he learns the Circle's agenda has changed: the Circle plans to unlock a portal and unleash pure-blood demons into the world. Vowing to stop them, and knowing he can't do it alone, Chase forms a reluctant alliance with Rayna — a sexy witch with an attitude and a secret.

In their attempt to stop them, Chase and Rayna find themselves in the middle of the Circle's plan, leaving one of them to decide what their friendship is worth, and the other's life depending on it.

My take...
Exiled at the young age of 15, along with his mother, Chase Williams still fights evil and demons. Being a Hunter runs through Chase's blood even though the Circle no longer wants him. So when he comes across a new kind of demon he has never before experienced and a Hunter he thought to have died long ago, Chase begins to question he upbringing. Is the Circle really who they say they are? And can Chase change his way of thinking when it comes to demons and actually help them?

Not one for being a huge fan of male POV’s, I found I really liked Chase. I guess it doesn’t hurt that the author is male and knows how to write one. And yes, he even writes a great female character in Rayna…loved that feisty chick. She is a very complex character and I think that is why I loved her so. You never know what you will get out of her from one moment to the next.

Lots, and I mean LOTS, of fighting and action happens in this book. Merrick gives us an action packed read that keeps the reader’s interest piqued and entertained. There is so much happening at every turn and never a dull moment to be found. What I did miss in the story though was there was no romance. Yeah there were hints and of course there was the obvious tension between Chase and Rayna, but come on Merrick!! I need me some romance, some lip-biting-make-me-swoon romance in my reads. So keep that in mind Merrick. Capiche?

I really think those who loved The Mortal Instrument series will like this one. Even though these are not angels fighting demons, the circumstances are the similar. Trust me, it is a must read. I mean, for someone’s debut book, Merrick did a fantastic job. Guys and gals alike will enjoy this book…and I definitely recommend it. I will soon be moving on to book 2, Shift. So I look forward to seeing what happens next with Chase and his motley crew.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review! I think I will check out this book. I like the idea of a male POV. I agree with you that I want a little romance... but I know boys think differently- wondering if it written for boys or girls or both? Would it appeal to a male audience? Thanks for the info and the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This totally appeals to both genders. Guys will love the action and the gals will adore Rayna and kick butt character. and thanks!

      Delete