January 13, 2013

Review: THE HARVESTING by Melanie Karsak



Title: The Harvesting

Author: Melanie Karsak

Source: ebook & paperback from author




goodreads...
It's all fun and games until someone ends up undead.
Though Layla reluctantly returns home to rural Hamletville after a desperate call from her psychic grandmother, she could never have anticipated the horror of what Grandma Petrovich has foreseen. The residents of Hamletville will need Layla's help if they are to survive the zombie apocalypse that's upon them. But that is not the only problem. With mankind silenced, it soon becomes apparent that we were never alone. As the beings living on the fringe seek to reclaim power, Layla must find a way to protect the ones she loves or all humanity may be lost.

My take...
"Layla, Grandma needs you to come home." Those words would change Layla's world forever. If she had been the type of grandchild to never listen, then most likely she would be dead instead of fighting the undead.
Back in her hometown of Hamletville, Layla is hit with the memories of her past love and a home in disarray. Why is her grandmother hoarding food, guns, and medicines? And why is everyone suddenly getting sick with this nasty flu strain?

When I was approached to do a review on The Harvesting I jumped at the chance. I saw the word zombies and knew for certain I had to review this book. And goodness I was so glad I did. We get a little bit of romance, a lot of zombies, a smidge of vampires, and a dash or spirits. Crazy right? Absolutely. All pulled together to make one great read.

This book kept me up late reading...then up early the next day to finish it. So much goodness packed into one book. I was floored at how much I loved the idea of vamps, zombs, and even a shift coming together. Yeah, I know we see them all together in books and movies and shows...but guys. I don't know what to say. It was just a really good read. I am hoping that with that ending (and the book that is up on goodreads without a blurb) is going to be the next book. I need to know what the deal was with that ending. My interest is most definitely peaked and I will be reading it for sure!

Although the book starts out rather clean and YA’ish, towards the end it leans toward New Adult/Adult. There are a few scenes that were a little raunchy and I could have done without the visual. But all in all, I was happy where the author took everything and the ending. The book, although intense at times, was also funny and light. I was also pleased with all the characters. Let me just say that the author has no problem offing someone if need be. No one is safe. 

Oh I mentioned earlier that Layla has to face her past love, right? Well I was pleased with how that all went down. I won’t say who the romance is with…but it was sweet none the less. It was all very well done and the readers, I think, will enjoy it. It was the right amount for the circumstances at hand to make this whole thing believable. So, that was a great bonus to the story for me…cause I love romance. 
Zombies + romance= me happy!


Fav Line:
The world, it seemed, had gone silent. It was something we knew but did not talk about. We were alone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment