February 14, 2013

Mini Review: A MILLION SUNS by Beth Revis



Title: A Million Suns

Author: Beth Revis

Source: bought paperback

AMAZON  B&N  GOODREADS


goodreads...
Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.

It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. Everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed.

But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision—no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier. Their success—or failure—will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous, the ship more chaotic, and the love between them more impossible to fight.

Beth Revis catapulted readers into the far reaches of space with her New York Times bestselling debut, Across the Universe. In A Million Suns, Beth deepens the mystery with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.

My take...



If I had to come up with only 2 words to describe A MILLION SUNS it would be ‘gripping suspense’. So gripping it was almost paralyzing. I can only imagine what Revis felt when writing it; to have to experience certain scenes over and over again until she got the story just right. And man did she nail it. There were times I had to lay the book down and take a calming breath. I seemed to have the same fear running through me as the characters had running through them. Just so darn intense!

Now it has been some time since I finished ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, so I am a little ashamed to say I had forgotten a little bit of how it ended. But Revis gives us readers a little history without it ruining the beginning of the story. It is just enough to remind us what happened previously and once I remembered I was immediately caught up in the story. Caught up in the characters…caught up in the deception…caught up in the impending destruction of a once civilized ship.

I really cannot go on much more in fear of leaking the story line and ruining it for everyone. But know this…if you read ACROSS THE UNIVERSE then you will want to read A MILLION SUNS. I felt it was much better than the first book thanks to the suspenseful scenes, the growing feelings between Elder and Amy, and some really whack job characters you’d like send out the space chute. 

Fav Lines…

I’m the only one who’s ever opened her eyes as wide as she can and still see only the heavens.

*****

Just that if I was back on Earth instead of on this damn ship, if I had met Elder at school or at a club or on a blind date, if I had my choice between Elder and every other boy in the world…Would I love him then?
Would he love me?
Love without choice isn’t love at all.
“Just that I don’t want to be with you just because there’s no one else.”

2 comments:

  1. I loved it how there was no insta-love between them, and the moments they share in Shades of Earth were so worth the wait :)
    And I have a list of a few characters I wished I could shoot into space ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get started with this series. I've met Revis a couple of times since she doesn't live too far from me.

    ReplyDelete