February 6, 2013

Mini Review: SURVIVAL by A.M. Hargrove



Title: SURVIVAL

Author: A.M. Hargrove

Source: ebook from author

Get it FREE here...

goodreads...
Survival (Book 1 of the Guardians of Vesturon), a YA paranormal romance

"Maybe I was caught between the two worlds. I was having serious trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality."

While on a backpacking trip in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, nineteen-year-old Maddie Pearce finds her world has been thrown into a vortex and is madly spinning toward the impossible. Abducted by a mad psychopath, Maddie narrowly escapes with her life. But that is only the beginning. Her mysterious rescuer introduces her to a world that Maddie has difficulty accepting as reality. Will this strikingly gorgeous stranger be the key to her future or will she return to her mundane world, scarred from her experience? Follow Maddie as she is forced to make difficult decisions that carry her to mysterious places.

My mini take...

This book was a struggle for me to read throughout most of the book. There were several parts that I thought weren't really necessary...like her whole collage life at the beginning of the book. A lot of the scenes were continuous talking and talking and talking. I think if the author did a little more showing and little less talking it would have been better; at least in my opinion. I seriously thought about putting it down for some time and maybe revisiting it at a later date. But a good friend told me to hang with it...that the story would definitely be worth it.

And this is where we get to the part I love. I absolutely loved the ending. So much so, I am eager to see what happens to Maddie and Rayn in RESURRECTION. And the twist that happened towards the end? WHOA! I so did not see that coming. Well I might have, but thought I was having crazy thoughts so I let it go. And then BAM! Hargrove was like 'Oh yeah I went there…you weren’t imagining things'. But I will admit I am a little worried about a love triangle. Guess we have to wait and see.

Some of my favorite scenes were from Rayn’s POV. Woo boy do I love me some Rayn. He stole the show and made the book worth reading. But I wasn’t entirely fond of Maddie. She seemed a little too flaky and clumsy for me. I am hoping as the series goes on, she will grow on me. Oh and I absolutely loved Rayn’s sister, Sharra. Poor gal, she butchered all of my favorite American slang phrases. But it was hilarious to hear her try and say them. When corrected she would brush it off and keep going.  

Yes, the book starts slow…but hang with it!! I promise you will be happy you did and love that ending as much as I did. Cause here I am, after finishing the book, and I am completely giddy and excited with anticipation for the next one. 

1 comment:

  1. Great review! Sad you didn't love most of it. Hate when that happens, because then by the end you're hooked. Glad you loved the ending though, made the experience worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete