June 6, 2013

Review: ZOO by Tara Elizabeth

Title: ZOO

Author: Tara Elizabeth

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
A chronicle of my time living in a zoo . . . I'm not really sure where to start, and you may have trouble believing me even as I tell you my story. My family did. They laughed the first time I told them, so now I just say it was all a crazy dream. You see, I died in a totally preventable car accident . . . or so I thought. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to discover that I had been resurrected into the year 2282 and, just as unbelievably, was locked up in a zoo! A HUMAN ZOO! Oh wait, I mean the People's Past Anthropological Center.

The Global Government created the Centers because all of the different cultures of the world had, over centuries of time, slowly absorbed into one uniform culture. Everything and everybody felt the same, and the world didn’t like it. So, to help the people of 2282 find cultures they thought worthy to live their lives by, they used time travel to zap the people of the past into the future. They created enclosures to house their live human exhibits. And that's what happened to me. I became a research project, a source of entertainment. I was a prisoner who was over two hundred years away from my family and friends.

Most of my time in the enclosure was spent trying to escape. I also made friends, lost friends, fell in love, was betrayed, was held captive within captivity, and lots of other fun stuff. There were some shocking moments and some devastating moments . . . It’s a lot to recount, but I’ll try my best to tell you all about my time travel . . . PAST, PRESENT, and FUTURE.

I'm Emma, by the way.

My take...
Can you imagine living in an enclosure having people gawk at you like animals in the zoo? It is beyond my thinking. Oh that could never happen to us. Really? Because the world is so perfect right now? Ok, so yeah, maybe it could happen. One of these days maybe. Well that is what happened to Emma. One minute she is sending a text to a friend (while driving) and the next she is sitting in a white room about to be whisked off to a fate worse than death. And this is just the beginning of her story.
I am a huge fan of THE TWILIGHT ZONE marathons that seem to come on around certain holidays. I will gladly stake out in front of my tv a watch a few with the family. I love how some can be so bizarre and creepy…and that is fine by me. So when I started reading ZOO I knew I stepped right into THE TWILIGHT ZONE. There is no other way to explain this book. The creep factor is definitely high and the paranoia is paralyzing. Zoo is absolutely horrifying but in such a good way. I had a hard time putting this book down. It was seriously one of those books that you could never find a stopping place.
I will tell you this. Through half the book I didn't think it could get any creepier...but it did. Lets just say that it is like THE TWILIGHT ZONE meets THE HUNGER GAMES. Oh boy. I literally shuddered when this part came. I thought surely it wouldn't get any worse for these people. And yep, it did. The hell these characters went through was intense and crazy.
Looking for a book that will be sure to give you the willies? One that is sure to capture your attention from the very start and not let go? Well then this book is for you. I gladly recommend it to anyone and everyone out there. Perfect for any age reader. I am sure once you get done you will be seeking out more from this author. I know I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment