August 20, 2013

Early Review: COVET by Tracey Garvis Graves


Title: COVET

Author: TRACEY GARVIS GRAVES

Source: eARC from publisher for review

Estimated Release Date: Sept 17, 2013


PreOrder at AMAZON  B&N

goodreads...
From the author of the New York Times bestseller On the Island.

What if the life you wanted, and the woman you fell in love with, belonged to someone else?

Chris and Claire Canton’s marriage is on life support. Downsized during the recession and out of work for a year, Chris copes by retreating to a dark place where no one can reach him, not even Claire. When he’s offered a position that will keep him away from home four nights a week, he dismisses Claire’s concern that time apart could be the one thing their fragile union can’t weather. Their suburban life may look idyllic on the outside, but Claire has never felt so disconnected from Chris, or so lonely.

Local police officer Daniel Rush used to have it all, but now he goes home to an empty house every night. He pulls Claire over during a routine traffic stop, and they run into each other again at the 4th of July parade. When Claire is hired to do some graphic design work for the police department, her friendship with Daniel grows, and soon they’re spending hours together.

Claire loves the way Daniel makes her feel, and the way his face lights up when she walks into the room. Daniel knows that Claire’s marital status means their relationship will never be anything other than platonic. But it doesn’t take long before Claire and Daniel are in way over their heads, and skating close to the line that Claire has sworn she’ll never cross.

My take...
(I actually rated this one 3.5 stars, but always round up to the next star when leaving reviews on sites such as AMAZON, GOODREADS, ets...)


Ok, this review is going to be a bit hard for me to do. Why you ask? Well, the thing is I absolutely loved ON THE ISLAND with every ounce of me. But this one just didn't measure up. It actually started really, really, really slow. And there was so much telling in the story I felt like I was getting a play by play of this chick’s entire day. For example...
I take a sip of my tea and then spread out my towel on one of the four chaise lounges that Julia has arranged next to the pool. I strip off my cover up and lay down, rolling up another towel and placing it behind my head for a make shift pillow.
And that is just one example...there is plenty more scenes I just skipped over. I can handle a bit here and there but it seemed the whole first half of the book was all telling. And I understand the author was trying to get across that Claire and Chris were having problems and she was unhappy, but there so much that could have been left out. And who knows, this is an ARC and some things could change.
Another thing was I didn't feel any connection to Claire. With all that her husband went through, I felt she was a tad bit selfish. And while I am glad with how Graves approached the topic of cheating...I still felt that Claire did cheat even though she never actually preformed any sexual acts with Daniel. Everything they did was too intimate for a married woman to be having.
By the second half of the book it did pick up. But I was still disappointed with Claire and her actions so I wasn't able to enjoy the book like I wanted too. However, I enjoyed the way the book ended and was happy that it seemed to be a HEA for everyone involved. Because, even though the story is about Claire, Chris, and Daniel...more people are involved. Having all the neighbor’s lives brought in made the story very interesting to me. Even though people may seem perfect on the outside, they could be dealing with some serious battles inside, behind closed doors.
COVET is getting a lot of wonderful reviews and it just shows that not everyone reads the same book. So I encourage you to keep that in mind. While it may not have been my kind of read it most definitely could impact you differently and you may fall in love with it. And I will most definitely keep reading Graves' work in the future. I adore her writing and think she is a fantastic author. Thanks to Dutton/Penguin Publishing for contacting me about a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment