August 25, 2013

Review: LOVE & DECAY #4 by Rachel Higginson {Plus #1 is Free}


Title: LOVE AND DECAY, #4

Author: Rachel Higginson

Source: bought on smashwords










And right now...Episode #1 is free




goodreads...
Zombies- as if that wasn’t enough to ruin any girl’s dream of a happily ever after.

Haley Gable has been on the run from Zombies and other evils for almost two years. She is exhausted, cynical and bored. Her overactive brain is ticking away at her sanity and the endless struggle for survival ahead of her seems overwhelming.

Until she meets the Parker brothers.

Now traveling in company with five overprotective brothers and a little girl that has completely stolen her heart, Haley finally feels a breath of relief.

That is until Nelson, the middle brother, decides that Haley is exactly the girl he’s been waiting for.

Panicked by the idea of love and confused about what kind of future any relationship could possibly have when surrounded daily by the looming threat of death, Haley avoids Nelson and all his advances.

When the group finds a solar powered farmhouse, Haley’s defenses are down in light of such an exciting thing as electricity and Nelson takes the opportunity to pursue her. Caught up in Nelson’s charm, Haley has trouble resisting him and everything he offers her.

A temporary fling doesn’t sound so bad, but what Nelson wants from her is something so much stronger than casual, so much deeper than anything she’s ever felt before. Nelson wants all of Haley, every last part. But can she give up her fear and doubt and give him a chance? Will he turn her world of decay into something made of love and hope?

Love and Decay, Episode Three, is the third in a novella series in a Dystopian Romance about Zombies, the end of the world and finding someone to share it with.

This story takes place over multiple episodes, with a release date every two weeks. Approximately 20,000 words.

My take...
I spent years feeling unsafe-completely vulnerable to death, disease, or Zombie-ism. And here, out in the relative open with only glass and rusted metal to shelter me, while three boys with limited ammo and a pure, focused goal to protect us and their baby sister, I felt absolutely safe and cared for.
***
Seriously...why are zombies not real? At least why are Rachel's zombies not real and why are her characters not either? If the zombie apocalypse were to take place this second, I am gathering my possessions and off in search of the Parker brothers. Yes, this cougar will need them if I want to survive. Or in the least have something cute to look at. Right?
This episode was probably my favorite so far. Even though you won't find one single zombie in it...it was by far the most romantic. Did it really take us getting Haley's POV for Higginson to show us that Haley and Nelson are the obvious romantic ones of the group? Don't get me wrong, I adore Reagan. But after a certain little scene towards the end of this one, I have a bad feeling. And it has something to do with Hendrix, Vaughan, and hinting at a possible love triangle. Oh dear.
Another fabulous episode that is sure to please all of its followers. You haven't read this short story series yet? ((le' gasp)) You must. If you are a fan of romance and zombies (who isn't?) then you are missing out. I am on constant stake out when it is due to release. I have to have my LOVE & DECAY zombie fix. And it is a fix only Higginson can provide.

Fav quotes...
You are a good girl, Haley. And if you fell into my lap, then it's not by luck but by pure act of God that you're with me now. So instead of looking at you like a fluke, I'm probably going to look at you like a gift. Like you walked into my life, not just as someone who will help my family survive, but as everything I've ever wanted in a girl-everything I've wanted for me.
***
"I'll go slow," he promised and my mind went silent- the entire jumble of thoughts disappeared immediately so I could listen with perfect attentiveness to all his soul-aching promises and sexy as hell voice. "I'll let you catch up at your own pace."

1 comment:

  1. I am usually not a huge fan of zombies but this series definitely has me intrigued! I picked up the first episode to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete