September 15, 2013

Review: BROKEN VESSELS by Lee Strauss


Title: Broken Vessels

Author: Lee Strauss

Source: ebook from author for review



goodreads...
A Novella

Jars of Clay + Broken Vessels = Romeo and Juliette in Ancient Rome

Jars of Clay (volume 1) and Broken Vessels (volume 2) contain strong religious themes and scenes of sensuality and violence. Recommended for ages 15 and up.

*based on a true story*

With no way to prevent Helena from marrying another, Lucius flees to Rome to seek his fortune and mend his broken heart.

In a loveless marriage with a child to care for, Helena finds comfort in the most unlikely place--with her brother amongst the Christians. The religious group is mostly ignored by the Pagan populace, until the Emperor returns to the city and celebrations are planned. There's a shortages of criminals for the games and Christians are now sought out for arrest.

Fate brings Lucius back to Carthage, where his only wish is that he will get a glimpse of the girl he still loves. But when he finally sees Helena, it's under the worse possible circumstance...

My take...
I was absolutely taken with this novella series. It was so dang good, I found I couldn't put it down. It is a quick read that held my interest the entire time. As the story built and the end came near, I held out hope that Lucius and Helena would reunite and live happily ever after. But I am not going to ruin the end for you and tell all its secrets. You are just going to have to read and find out for yourself.

Strauss told me before I started, BROKEN VESSELS, that it is a book that readers either love or hate. Well, I am definitely one of the ones that loved it. BROKEN VESSELS has a lot more religious theme than the first book, JARS OF CLAY. And that is ok with me. Being Christian it was easy to relate to the book. Yes, I absolutely loved it and would recommend it to anyone. I will be letting my girls read this one in a few years, as they get older. But if you are not into Christian books, then I suggest you find another read.

This story definitely lacked the romance I was hoping for, but I found it necessary for this book. We still get the heartache of both Lucius and Helena as they think back on their short lived love affair, but the kissy, kissy romance just didn't happen for them. Like I said, it worked for this story and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, I would have changed the ending. But that is just me. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment