September 22, 2013

Review: MY GIRLFRIEND BITES by Doug Solter


Title: My Girlfriend Bites

Author: Doug Solter

Source: ebook from author for review



goodreads...

Sometimes the boy gets the werewolf.

After his "dream" girl rejects him, 16-year-old Aiden tries to commit suicide, yet mysteriously survives. Now he feels like a loser with zero possibility of finding the perfect girlfriend. Enter Bree, the creepy girl with too much hair who's rumored to be cloned from a frozen pre-historic cave girl that scientists discovered in Canada. But when he accepts a ride from “Cave Girl” during a storm, Aiden discovers this weird girl not only has a kind heart. She's also cute.

Aiden offers to help Bree in Algebra and the two become friends. When Aiden pushes that friendship into a date, Bree accepts. On a romantic night at the zoo, Bree and Aiden fall in love as the animals watch. Unlike Aiden, they can smell what Bree really is.

Bree decides to tell him her deep, dark secret. Her family are werewolves hiding from the Demon Skins, a mysterious new enemy hunting down all the werewolf packs on earth. Aiden struggles with Bree's revelation, but chooses to stand by the girl he fell in love with. But standing by his new girlfriend will be the biggest test of his life.

Too bad Bree can't turn a coward into a fearless werewolf. That bite thing is only a myth.

This forces Aiden to do the unthinkable...believe in himself.

My take...
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. Would a get a cute read about werewolves...or would it be something completely different? Yeah, I got something completely different. Although the cover portrays a cartoonish girl, the story comes off as anything but. There was a dark side that focused a lot on suicide and the attempts to ends one’s life. But I found the little bit of humor and the paranormal aspect balanced it all out.

Oh yes, there was some humor. Issy was a riot that always had something to say to make you laugh. He was such a mess but I enjoyed him so much. But at the end he became more serious and it was justified. Which it leads me to my next concern....

I felt Aiden wasn't listening to his friend and his concerns with Bree. Issy felt she was a threat and rightly so. But I believe Aiden was letting his love for her cloud his judgment. He really needed to take a step back and look at the whole picture.

Well done Solter for giving us another great read (in a whole different genre than SKID) that kept me entertained and my interest held. Will this be a series? Solter definitely left the ending open without it feeling like there was no closure. So I guess we will just have to wait and see because anything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment