September 12, 2013

Review: A TERRIBLE LOVE by Marata Eros


Title: A Terrible Love 

Author: Marata Eros

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
Jess Mackey is living a meticulously fabricated lie of necessity. She's left the secret tragedy of her past behind along with who she was and is forging ahead with a clean slate. But Jess soon discovers that passion can't be left behind—neither her own, nor that of the one man who sees who she really is…and whose unexpected presence may breach the peaceful life Jess has painstakingly created for herself.

Devin Castile didn’t expect to meet a young woman who may be the missing puzzle piece to his existence…and who is also the victim of a heinous crime. Devin convinces himself that he can remain emotionally distant even while indulging his physical desire for her. But when Jess’s lies begin to crumble in the face of their undeniable attraction and the truth is revealed, one of them might pay with their life.

My take...
A TERRIBLE LOVE wasn’t a bad story and I found it really intriguing at times. What got me the most was the dialogue. I didn't feel it flowed well and would come off sounding choppy and confusing. Several times I had to reread scenes just to make sure I had it right. And often I was still left wondering what they were talking about. Maybe it was the word use or that the author was trying to 'talk' like twenty-somethings and it just wasn't coming out like it should.

I wanted to like Jess and thought I would at the beginning. But as the story went on I was becoming more and more irritated with her. I thought she was extremely weak and would cry at the drop of a hat. For a girl who up and left without a trace from such a horrid situation, she sure wasn't the head strong girl i was hoping we'd see. How she lasted 2 years without being found was beyond me.

Same with Cas...I wanted to like him but soon grew tired of his hot and cold attitude and his flippant stance on relationships. Am I the only one who is getting tired of all NEW ADULT guys being complete jackasses and the girls falling hopelessly for them? Do NEW ADULT ladies not have any self-worth anymore? (Ooh I feel a blog post coming on.) I will admit that the chemistry between Cas and Jess was undeniable and amazing. And hot! They really completed each other and I enjoyed their scenes together. So very much.

Technically I rated this book about 3.5 stars, but on sites like Goodreads, Amazon, etc...I always round up to the next full star. Although it seems like I was complaining about the book, the story itself was one I found hard to put down. I stayed up late last night to finish it. I had to know what was going on and who Jess would end up with. All in all, I was happy with the outcome.

Will I read A BRUTAL TENDERNESS, told from Cas' POV? Probably not. I am not hugely fond of stories retold from another POV.


No comments:

Post a Comment