December 2, 2013

Review: THE RUSH by Rachel Higginson


Title: The Rush

Author: Rachel Higginson

Source: ebook from B&N 


goodreads...
A life not her own—A future already decided.

Every facet of Ivy Pierce’s life is meticulously planned out and plotted. Cynical and jaded by sixteen, Ivy’s only hope is to escape the legacy she was born into.

She has a plan, a carefully thought out, feasible plan. She just has to play by the rules until everything falls into place. Unfortunately as predictable as her life can be, she never sees Ryder Sutton coming. He tumbles into her life unimpressed and untouched by her and the life she lives. He’s an enigma to her. A gorgeous, frustrating, sincere mystery and a complete phenomenon in the ugly world she lives in.

What blooms between them is a fiercely intense attraction that cannot be ignored. Even though they would both be better off without each other—Even if both their lives depend on staying apart.

My take...
THE RUSH is not my most favorites of Higginson's. But it was good. It is definitely a different take on Sirens. Of course, I haven't read too many books about Sirens to compare it to. And I think the only ones I have read were mainly about Mermaids. So for a story solely about Sirens, I think it is different and unique. And all in all this was a good read.

My problem? Gosh, it sounds so weird saying that because I have never had a problem before with her work per se, but with this one I did. I did however have problems with infuriating characters *cough* Kiran *cough* (From another series of hers.) The whole book I felt like there was something I had overlooked from the beginning. Like the answer to all life's problems was dangling before me at arm’s reach and I couldn't quite grasp it. I disliked that I had to go nearly the entire book before we were let in on Ivy's secret even though it was practically spelled out for us the whole time. Sure hints were thrown out at us, but we didn't have all the info we needed, so it all came off as confusing.  I just couldn't enjoy the book like I had hoped to.

*Waits for Rachel to wipe clean any evidence of our friendship*

I did however enjoy the characters...all of them! From Ivy to Ryder to Chase to Phoenix. Heck I even liked Nix to a certain extent. He definitely added the creep factor to the story and made things very interesting. But Ivy and Ryder were spectacular characters. I loved how they interacted and my feelings were instant for them both. I just adored them.

***
This wasn't a kiss. This was an epiphany. My moment of clarity.
My salvation.
***

A good story that starts out rather slow but picks up speed half way in. It is a book that keeps your interest and eager to find its secrets. Secrets that are well worth the wait. I am absolutely anticipating book 2. I have to know what becomes of Ivy. Will she be able to find the freedom she so desperately seeks and escape the madness she calls life? Guess we will just have to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment