January 3, 2014

Review: OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon


Title: OUTLANDER

Author: Diana Gabaldon

Source: checked out ebook from local library

AMAZON  B&N  GOODREADS

goodreads...
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

My take...
Did I enjoy this book? Oh dear me you better believe I did. Was there romance? More than I could wrap my mind around. Was this something I would normally read? Heck no. Now let me explain…

Yes, I absolutely and 100% enjoyed this book. I couldn't believe how taken I was with it. No it is not something I would normally read, but when I saw they were making a tv series out of it, well, the blurb peeked my interest. And when I say it is not something I normal read, it is because of the dialogue of the book. See, the book's setting is primarily 1743 Scotland. And the way the people talked then was a little hard to understand at first. But soon, I realized what certain words were and from then on out it flowed rather smoothly.

The storyline as a whole is easy to explain. Claire magically travels back 200 so years in time and ends up falling in love with a Scot, while also being married in modern time 1945. But then you have to take in consideration all the many plots that take place throughout that are under the umbrella of that main one. If you don't pay attention you will miss valuable pieces of information as well. It is just that fascinating of a book. But please keep in mind there are many sensitive subjects and at times could be hard on the reader to take in.

As for the romance, well I wasn't quite sure what I was expecting in that department. You see, Claire is married when she travels back through time. So I can see how this could be a touchy and awkward subject for some people. Have to tell you, I honestly think the author did a fabulous job with all that. And my heart is with Jamie. I wholeheartedly love this guy. I think if it wasn't for their romance I would have bailed on the whole book. The book was long and the dialogue was different. But I hung in there. I liked what I saw developing and knew the outcome would be greater.

***
I had the impression that we were holding each other up; if either of us let go or looked away, we would both fall. Oddly, the feeling was mildly reassuring. Whatever we were in for, at least there was the two of us. 

***
But there were times I wasn't fond of Jamie. Getting into those events would spoil it for you all, and we all know how I feel about that. (I don’t tell the goods…I want you to read it for yourself!) But I had to take in consideration the time period and how he was raised. Didn't make it ok in my mind, but I was appeased somewhat. And soon, he would end up being the Jamie I knew and loved and all would be right again. I think I actually held a grudge a lot longer than Claire did. But who could blame her, right? A fiery head Scot in a kilt. AT. ALL. TIMES?! *Swoon*

OUTLANDER has literally taken up residence in my mind and my heart. I am needing to start another book today that is due for a review soon, and I am just not sure I can do it. It has attached itself to me so deeply. Definitely one of those books the characters and the whole story stay with you long, long, long after it is done. And truly look forward to the next books in the series, so stay tuned for those reviews as well.

Thanks for hanging around for this long review and hope you take the time to read it for yourself if you haven't already. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would.

1 comment:

  1. celticbrighid@gmail.com04 January, 2014

    I'm an author myself and a huge reader of historical fiction as well as nonfiction. I found Outlander in an antique shop and began it on my honeymoon in Scotland, of all places. Not only did I love it, devour every other novel in the series but I've found Diana to be one of the best writers I've ever read. Her characters are flesh and blood, the history very accurate, the descriptions so full of life I could see, hear, touch, and feel the characters. I've never read anyone better. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete