April 11, 2014

Review: COMPLIMENTS by Mari K. Cicero

Title: Compliments

Author: Mari K. Cicero

Source: eARC from author



goodreads...
Robin Lewis is a brilliant college student who did a truly stupid thing. Trying to escape the consequences of a forbidden romance, she enrolls at prestigious Manderson University, and decides that the only way to avoid making the same mistake twice is to have no social life at all. All good and fine, until she literally falls into Hawk Stephens' life one late night at the office.

Hawk is more than just a pretty face and a brilliant mind. He's also the night janitor. Robin wants to resist the attraction, but it's hard to ignore the way he seems so perfect for her. But when she finds out Hawk is so much more than he seems, embroiled by the fallout of his own regretful decisions, she questions if two such broken people can ever add up to a whole.

My take...
I rated this book 4.5 stars, but always round up to the next highest full star when leaving reviews on sites such as Amazon, Goodreads, etc....

**
I like Hawk Stephens. I'm being distracted by Hawk Stephens. I'm attracted to Hawk Stephens. What all of that amounts to is....I'm in trouble.
**

Last thing on Robin Lewis' mind is starting a relationship with someone, let alone a janitor at the very University she attends. She has a past that complicates her future. But she is bound and determined to overcome it and move on. Without a man. Because a man is what got her in trouble in the first place. But there is something about Hawk Stephens. He invades her thoughts and before she can no longer deny the feelings between them. But Hawk isn't so forthcoming with his baggage. Can she overlook it as their relationship grows? Or is it enough to stop it in its tracks?

I adored this story. The writing, the flow, the characters...all of it! Instantly, I was pulled in and fell for this story line. And even though I have read this author's other work under her other name, Killian McRae, I found this book and her other work very distinguishable. Sometimes when an author produces under 2 or more names, the work can sound alike. Not so with this lady. I truly think that this book appealed to me more than any of her other stuff. I was so hooked from the very first paragraphs that I had a hard time putting it down.

**
"I’m going to kiss you now," he declares, “deep, hard, and long. And I am going to kiss you like that every time I see you, so you might as well get used to it."
**

Hawk was such a nerd. But in a good way. He is sexy as all get out, but a nerd none the less. And charming. Let’s not forget charming. Robin's character grew on me. I didn't hate her in the beginning, but ended up loving her in the end. Together these two are magic. I love that they share a love for math (why? I don't know. Me and math do not get along.) But the romance as perfect and flirty and I just loved, loved, loved it. I was swooning the whole way through.

My only problem for not rating it a full 5 stars was the ending. Towards the end so much talking was happening that it made the story drag. It was like the author was trying to explain away the twists. But it was just enough to only warrant rating it 4.5 stars.

COMPLIMENTS is a beautiful, romantic story that I am head over heels in love with. I dare you to pick it up today and read this amazing, quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment