August 11, 2015

Guest Reviewer Shannon McCrimmon & Her Thoughts on SIX MONTHS LATER by Natalie D. Richards


Today I have the amazing and talented Shannon McCrimmon on the blog giving her thoughts on a book she just finsihsed. I am actually reading her latest book THIS IS WHERE WE BEGIN. So  be on the look out for that review from me soon. 


"Recommend it to fans of Gayle Forman's If I Stay." ―Library Journal
She Has Everything She Ever Wanted. But Not Her Memory...
When Chloe fell asleep in study hall, it was the middle of May. When she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life.
Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.
What happened to her? Remembering the truth could be more dangerous than she knows...



Six Months Later – A Romantic Mystery Sure to Keep You On The Edge Of Your Seat
A review by Shannon McCrimmon

I've been searching for a good old fashioned young adult mystery. There hard to come by. I mean, if I wanted to read about some messed up government set in a futuristic society or about vampires and zombies, I'd be set. (Don't get me wrong, I love a good dystopian or paranormal novel, but I've been craving mysteries this summer). Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of young adult mysteries out there.
I found this gem by accident. I was perusing the shelves at Barnes and Noble. (Yeah, I still go to the bookstore even though I love my Kindle). A sign beckoned me: “Suspenseful reads” or something along that line. So, I trekked on over there. 
The title and cover are what first spoke to me, and then when I read the synopsis, I knew I had to read it. (Now ask me if I bought the paper back or downloaded it on my Kindle). So, I purchased it (on my Kindle) and pushed the other books on my TBR on the back burner. The pile continues to grow. Le sigh. But that's another discussion. I don't even want to think about the number of books I have that I haven't read yet.
Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards follows Chloe, who falls asleep in study hall in the middle of May, then wakes up and it's six months later. She can't remember the last six months of her life. Things have changed. Her grades, her social life, her friendships, and her love interests - they're all different. She was an average student before, now she is in the top ten. Before, hunky Blake wouldn't speak to her, now their dating. She's strangely attracted to Adam, whom she never spoke to before, but now they have a connection. (There was a sweet romantic element to the story.) And, her best friend, Maggie, isn't speaking to her. What happened to Chloe, and why can't she remember anything? The more she discovers; the more dangerous it becomes for her. As things progress in the story, the more you find yourself worried about Chloe's life. This is not a Pollyanna story. Think Gillian Flynn only for high school students.
Within the first few pages, I was hooked and finished it quickly. 
Don't you love a book that lets you escape? That is what this one was for me – an escape.
I consider myself good at figuring things out, and the twist on this one was definitely a surprise. While I knew something fishy was going on—it was obvious from the beginning—I didn't know exactly what “it” was. I suspected who was behind it all; I just didn't know why. Once things are revealed, you're screaming at your Kindle/book, saying, “What the heck?” But doesn't that make for a good book – when you have a strong reaction? At least in my opinion it does. Those are the kind of reads that stick with me. They're the kind that I tell everyone about.
I've since purchased Richards' other book: Gone Too Far and look forward to her newest book that is set to release in the fall, My Secret To Tell. If I enjoy a author, I tend to buy anything she/he writes. Richards has a terrific writing style, and her stories are unique. Those two things equate to a great read.
I highly recommend this one. If you're seeking a YA mystery with romance, check this one out. You won't be disappointed. I promise.



Meet the guest reviewer.....

Shannon McCrimmon was born and raised in Central Florida. She attended Rollins College and earned a Master's Degree in Counseling. In 2008, she moved to the upstate of South Carolina. It was the move that inspired her to write her first novel. She currently lives in Greenville, South Carolina with her husband and toy poodle. She'd love to hear from you! 


Connect with her at shannonmccrimmon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment