August 1, 2016

Now Live: PENNY IN LONDON by Fisher Amelie {Interview}


Hello, all! My name is Fisher Amelie and I wrote a little story called Penny in London. Thank you so much for joining us today and I hope you enjoy our little teasers on this, the day of its release. "May your first child be a masculine child." (If you read the book, you'll get this later.)


You know how everyone says when one door closes another one opens? At the time, you find this statement obnoxious as all get out because a) you don’t really know what the future holds, it certainly hasn’t been a cakewalk so far, and b) the thought of change is unbearable. You feel like your life is falling apart and everyone around is feeding you clichés like they’re made out of kale or quinoa or whatever the trend health food is right now. You don’t want kale clichés, you want double-chocolate fudge realisms, and you want them now. You just want things the way they were, but then something happens, a moment, an instant that sets you out on a path toward happiness you never knew could exist, and suddenly you think, huh, I don’t think I want double-chocolate fudge anymore. I think I’m in the mood for this heaping serving of strawberry cheesecake sitting in front of me…with a side of kale. And a pair of split pants, but we won’t get into that right now. 

Graham Glenn may have tossed her in, but Oliver Finn made her feel again.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I didn’t have a fireworks moment, really. I have written for years and years, tucking notebooks away under my bed and in tubs in the closet, never really thinking that I was practicing for a career. I did it because I loved it and I did it because it was all I ever wanted to do. When I was grown, after going into finance of all things, I decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt a career at copywriting. Flash forward several years and I had made a name for myself in that world, with several agencies, and had a comfortable living, but it wasn’t enough. I had a burning desire to lay a world down on paper and see where it took me. The rest is history.

How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends on the book. My Seven Deadly Series novels take me much longer than most of my other novels solely because of the research that each entail. Each Seven Deadly takes approximately eight to ten months, three of those months being research alone. I also painstakingly plot each of those novels and that can be tedious. My other series, The Sleepless Series, each of those books took about six months each. Penny in London and my upcoming book, Get in the Car, Jupiter, each only took about six weeks. The material is a lot more emotional and the plots are simpler so I’m allowed to just run with it.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Busy! LOL I’ve three children, seven, three, and two. Needless to say, I only write when they’re asleep, which makes it difficult to get the words I need in daily. I sort of live by the expectation that my kids shouldn’t know that I’m a writer, so a lot of my time is spent with them. It’s not a coincidence that my novels take so long to release.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I can’t write unless my kids are sleeping and it’s a confirmed sleep, all the doors in my house are locked, and most importantly I have to have earbuds with music going. I prefer the dark but it’s not necessary. On the flip, I can’t edit with music. In fact, I have to have complete silence to edit.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? Usually I get them from a random news story I’ll read or film I’ll watch. Something will strike me as interesting and my brain goes on over drive, conjuring up a character and their world, then before I know it, I’ve got a novel plotted out.
 
When did you write your first book and how old were you? My first book was The Undestorey, no longer available for sale, (psst, check Smashwords) and it was in 2009.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? Read! Oh my gosh, my favorite thing in this whole big, wide world is to read!

What does your family think of your writing? At first they were pretty hesitant to support me, that’s being polite, but eventually they realized that I wasn’t going to quit and they settled down. Ba ha ha!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? The publishing world is so fickle. Procedures change at the drop of a dime, marketing strategies change with every single book,  and reaching your readers has become almost impossible.

How many books have you written? Eight so far! Not as many as some but not as few as others, right?

Which is your favorite? FURY is my favorite. I cut open my vein and bled that book. The research, the characters, the world, the words, all of it. It was an extension of myself, that novel, and when I was through, I felt like I was truly in mourning when I had to let it go. I’m still not fully over it and it’s been a year.

What do you think makes a good story? A good story is one that keeps you up at night, begging to be written out. A good story demands to be recorded. When you have that, you have a good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment