March 30, 2017

#NowLive: THE OPPOSITE OF YOU by Rachel Higginson {Excerpt/Review}

I’ve sworn off men.

All men.

Famous last words, right? You’re expecting some epic tale of reluctant love and my dramatic change of heart? Well, you’re not going to get it.

I’m stubborn. And headstrong. And I’ve just survived the worst three years of my life. After escaping an abusive boyfriend to live in hostels and cheap hotels while I worked my way across Europe, I’ve come to two conclusions.

The first? Now that I’m back home, I’m going to squander my expensive culinary degree on a food truck that caters to the late night drunk crowd.

The second? I’m going to prove to the bastard across the plaza that my street food is better than his fussy five course monstrosities.

Killian Quinn might be Food and Wine’s Chef to Watch Out For. He might have a Michelin Star. He might have every food critic in the city wrapped around his too-large fingers. But he’s also pretentious and unbearably arrogant and the very opposite of me.

So he can keep his unsolicited advice and his late night visits and his cocky smiles. I want none of it. Or him.

I want the opposite.
AMAZON  GOODREADS

He dropped his head in relief, his forehead brushing my cheek. “Thank you.”
“I hope your ego recovers,” I joked in an attempt to untangle us from this spot—figuratively and literally. He was still draped over me, making all my neglected girly parts wake up and pay attention.
He chuckled, his chest vibrating against mine with the sound. “My ego is never safe around you, Delane.” Lifting his head, he caught my gaze and held it. His hands brushed over the counter and over my hips. For a second I was afraid he was going to start tickling me again, but then his fingertips dipped beneath my white t-shirt and his hands wrapped around my waist instead. “Thank you for removing the review.”
“You already said that,” I whispered, nervous and excited and confused all at once.
“I mean it though.” The corners of his mouth lifted in a sincere smile. “I just wanted you to know.”

All I could do was blink. I knew he was going to kiss me. I just knew it.

It was up to us how we used those experiences. We could let them own us, or we could let them be the journey they were meant to be, the stepping stones to a better life, a better self. Each moment, good or bad, a tool to give us the strength we needed to be the person we were supposed to be.
**

I just finished the most amazing story. It was everything. It pulled me from a week long reading slump and reenergized my love for all the words. Higginson once again shows her incredible ability to pull the reader in with captivating words, beautiful romance, and intriguing characters. Very intriguing, BEARDED, characters. Oh, Killian Quinn, you sexy thing you!!

**
It was the please that did it. His please would always do it. The word sounded too fragile for his filthy mouth, too sweet to come from someone so hard. I didn’t stand a chance.
**

Yes, I absolutely loved Killian. Although he comes off hard and unapproachable at first, his walls slowly fall and this amazing man emerges. He shows Vera a side of him that no one else gets to see. And Vera, being hurt before, takes him in strides. She doesn't want to find herself in another relationship ever again. Especially with the likes of Killian; her competition. But as their "friendship" grows through hilarious hijinks and late night fun, she sees that he is nothing like the man from her past. The one that had broken her down and had her fleeing to another country.

I loved the idea of a story based on a girl starting her own food truck, too. These trucks are a big deal now. Unfortunately I have never ate from one yet. Hard to when you live in the sticks. Maybe one of these days. Largely if the menu is as great as Vera's. My mouth watered nonstop throughout the book at all the deviousness that Vera and Killian were serving up. I probably gained just 10lbs just thinking of it all while reading this edible delight of a story.

And the romance. It was beautiful, fun, sexy, and sweet. My heart did little pitter patters when the scene got romantic and I swear I had a perpetual smile on my face the whole time. How could I not with a guy like Killian Quinn. He is a definite favorite of mine from here on out. Many book boyfriends will have to try and measure up to him.

Higginson has another book that will lead off from this one coming in July. And I am already giddy with excitement for it. I saw the chemistry and the angst coming from these characters and just knew they had a story to tell.

So there you have it. 5 Delicious Stars!!







No comments:

Post a Comment