April 12, 2017

5*Review: THE GIRL WHO SHOT FIRST by Angel Lawson

Title: THE GIRL WHO SHOT FIRST

Author: Angel Lawson

Source: bought kindle copy


goodreads...

The Girl Who Shot First-The Death Fields- A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller

The last time Alexandra Ramsey sees her scientist father, he tells her to wait two weeks for him to return. If he doesn’t, she and her mother must locate her sister, who is over three hundred miles away in one of the states under quarantine. Assuming she survived, that is.

The virus spreads through the southern states, infecting the healthy and turning them into raging, cannibalistic versions of their former selves. Dr. Ramsey has spent months studying the E-TR Virus, seeking a way to stop the annihilation of the human race. Before he disappears, he hands Alexandra what may be the most valuable information in existence. Information that more than one powerful group will go to great lengths to possess.

Alexandra is no match for this world—one where men and women’s brains burn with infection and a compulsive need to spread the parasitic virus that could potentially wipe out mankind. The weak are a liability, but she made her father a promise. It's a vow she intends to keep no matter how many lives are lost on the way.

*The Girl Who Shot First was formerly published under the title Zocopalypse.*



My take...

The problem is that with so much time is that there is nothing to shut off these thoughts. No new things to focus on. The only new things are terrifying things that I don’t want to think about either. Eaters. The military. Crazy post-apocalyptic crazy people. My dad. My sister. What to do next. Where to go…

It’s easier to think about before, when things were better even if it does make me sad.
***

After finishing up the most wonderful contemporary romance, I needed a little gore to balance me out. I'm like that. I need romance, then zombies, contemporary, and then back to rotting flesh. I like to think it keeps me grounded.

But here I am, only 60% done with this book, and I felt the need start the review up just so I could gush for a second. Lawson is a genius when it comes to writing a zombie read. One that feels like it could very well play out in real life (and come off believable) the way she wrote it. I have ranted and raved with her a few times about The Walking Dead and this lady knows what she is talking about. She has done her research, watched zombie related shows, and keeps up with current events. So I guess I shouldn't be so surprised with this being such an amazing read.

Ok, now I am 100% done and I gotta say this book was fabulous. So much so! And so much happens in the story. We are taken back and forth from the present to the past right before everything went to hell. Before people became infected and started munching down on their friends and family. And I actually loved that about the book. I loved seeing how it all went down, unlike some shows and books that leave you always questioning the how’s and why’s to the start of the end.

And the different array of characters was definitely a good mix for the story as well. I enjoyed the roles that each one played and what they brought to the story. I love Cole and will be keeping my fingers crossed there.

The start roped me in quickly. The whole plot had me reading, reading, reading until I quickly devoured the whole book. The ending was such a surprise and one that has me eager to read the next in line. All in all, this book is registering up there as one of my favorites. 5 Freakin’ Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment