October 8, 2018

4*Review: RISE OF THE DEAD by Jeremy Dyson

Title: RISE OF THE DEAD
Author: Jeremy Dyson

Source: KU 


Goodreads…
Rise of the Dead is a zombie novel with a lot of guts that aims for the brain, blending literary fiction with post-apocalyptic thrills.

Blake was never one for taking chances. He lived in a world of formulas and equations. A statistician in a controlled society where everything had become predictably mundane. That world disappeared the day the dead got up and began attacking the living.

Now, the end is here. Blake finds himself fighting for his life in a world that is rapidly spiraling out of control. He struggles to keep himself alive and must risk everything to find his family.

Along the way, Blake finds himself thrust among other unlikely survivors. Together they must adapt to the realities of the undead world, or join the legion of zombies. The characters must overcome their conditioned human apathy and come together if they have any chance of survival.

Rise of the Dead chronicles the first moments of the zombie apocalypse. While the story is a fast-paced thrill ride through an ever-growing zombie horde, the novel aims to draw upon familiar themes as those found in the Romero classic films.

My take…

I enjoyed the intensity of the story from the start. It was an edge of your seat kind of read. The beginning of this zombie apocalypse was wild and fantastic. However, like THE WALKING DEAD, we were not given a reason behind how the dead, who were not bitten, can come become a zombie. And I don’t know about you, but that has always irked me. Hopefully we find out in the next book.

Also, I wasn’t a fan of Blake much throughout the book. He had zero drive to find his family until later on in the story. Had it been me, I would have moved Heaven and Earth to get to my kids and husband. I did like Danielle. She was an excellent character, one that I wish we could have gotten her POV. But together, her and Blake had an instant friendship built on surviving the zombies and they stuck together no matter what.

RISE OF THE DEAD was still an excellent story that had me hooked the whole way through. Even though I wasn’t crazy about how Blake went about everything, I still wanted to know what happened next and if he would ever make it back to his family. 4 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment