June 23, 2011

Would you pay to see an author?


The New York Times did an article about Indie bookstores charging people to come to an author's event.
See said article--->HERE
When I participate in a blog hop I usually buy the book from Amazon because its easier to buy the book from them and ship it to the winner.
But 99% percent of the time I buy printed books I go to my local bookstores. I have also noticed that some of the book events in Memphis have had a charge to attend..but so far that has been for big name celebs/political peeps like Laura Bush, and so on.
But if it came to my favorite authors I would so buy a ticket to see them. I usually have the book before the signings so having to buy the book at the event wouldn't be helpful to me. But buying a ticket would be. I want to see books stores make it. Its hard times now. And seeing one go out of buisness just makes me sad.
What do you think of all this?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous23 June, 2011

    I've never attended a signing which required you to purchase a ticket to attend. The only signings I've attended required that you purchase the book at one of the store's locations and provide a receipt as proof of purchase. The date of purchase doesn't really matter so long as they know that you bought it from them. I get that it sucks for some people who may have purchased it from other locations but a store's gotta make money, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have attended many author interviews/signings and if I'm purchasing a book (usually expensive) I don't want to jump through hoops to see the author. Laura Bush was visiting and there were so many restrictions it wasn't worth it. Isn't the whole idea to bring customers in not restrict them?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where there would be restrictions with Laura Bush. But I would pay $5 or $10 to see an author. I really enjoyed the few I have been to. But like I said before..I usually have the authors book before the signing/reading. So I don't think that should be a requisite.

    ReplyDelete