January 24, 2012

Review: Girl Over the Edge by Amy Kinzer

Girl Over the Edge by Amy Kinzer
review


Title: Girl Over the Edge

Author: Amy Kinzer

Source: ebook from author for review

goodreads...

It started with a bad decision and ended with an obsession.

Seventeen-year-old best friends Beckett Smith and Chloe Baker can’t shake their reputations after taking risqué photos at a college party. The pictures are distributed to the North Lake High School student body sending the best friends to the bottom rung of the social ladder right before senior year. When Beckett and Chloe return to school, they find themselves ill prepared for the harassment and bullying that follows.

Beckett has an easier time being reaccepted than Chloe. And she’ll do anything to be part of her old clique and to get a second chance at a relationship with her ex-boyfriend, star running back Kale Fenton. But Beckett’s attempts at a normal senior year are at odds with Chloe’s increasingly anti-social behavior. As Chloe’s life spirals out of control she becomes obsessed with the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, also known as Suicide Bridge, a place known for the jumpers. And after everyone’s abandoned Chloe, Beckett is the only one person who can prevent Chloe from making the jump.

GIRL OVER THE EDGE is a novel about best friends, damaged relationships, and the help that sometimes comes from unexpected places.



My take...

This book was a little slow for me with not much happening until the very end. We go through the motions with Beckett as she goes through her entire senior year trying to get back to the social status she was at before the ‘incident’, only making baby steps to get there. But don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good book. I was just kind of taken aback that so much seems to have changed since I was in high school *cough* about 15 years ago *cough*. I mean if one of my friends were to have taken a risqué picture they wouldn’t have been harassed about it much or as long. But with Chloe and Beckett…it seems that this is the world we live in now. Bullying seem to be more and more now and I hate that for my daughters.

What I didn’t like was Beckett’s attitude through it all, her throwing the blame on Chloe the whole time. She totally drops her for a few minutes of not being the school outcast, leaving Chloe to burden it all on her shoulders. I didn’t feel for Beckett at all, I thought she was selfish and could have been a better friend. What I would have loved to have read was a POV through Chloe’s eyes.

Girl Over the Edge is a good story on peer pressure, bullying and how two friends try to overcome it all before they graduate. But what happens along the way may prove to be too much for one of them. Will Chloe find a way out or just end it all?

*Please don't think I didn't like this book cause I really did. After writing the review then sleeping on it I can see how it might come across as I hated it. I just didn't like the actions Beckett took through out the story. Kinzer did a fabulous job and I look forward to more books by her.*

No comments:

Post a Comment