June 14, 2012

Review: Growing Pains: Kendra's Diaries by K.P. Smith

Title: Growing Pains: Kendra's Diaries

Author: K.P. Smith

Source: ebook from author for review

goodreads...
Growing Pains; Kendra’s Dairies is the first book in the series chronicling the journey of Kendra Foster from adolescence to adulthood. I aspire to encourage, entertain, and inspire young adults. Life has its ups and downs, its bumps and its bruises. But with perseverance, determination, and faith you can be all you were born to be. Never Give Up.

My take...
Growing Pains is a great book about a young girl growing up without a lot of money, trying to become a cheerleader before she goes off to high school, and learning what it’s like to have a crush on that one special boy. But it’s also so much more than that. Kendra is also learning the hard way about what it’s like to grow up in a broken family. Will Kendra be able to overcome her fear, her dysfunctional family, and get into the high school of her dreams? With a lot of hard work and faith…Kendra just might be able to make it to graduation.
I was skeptical about this book; wondering if I would like it or not. And it took me getting half way into the book before I could truly get into it. I guess I am just not a huge fan of books based on young teens (12, 13, 14 years old) But Growing Pains is perfect for the younger YA readers. Would I let my daughters read this book? Most definitely!
Growing Pains did start out rather slow for me but half way in I found myself really enjoying the book and kept wondering what the outcome of the story would be. Would Kendra’s family get back together? Would she finally get her first kiss? Is cheerleading everything she thought it would be? I think if you give Growing Pains a try you will find it’s really inspiring and gives you a fresh outlook to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment