June 29, 2012

Review: Water by Terra Harmony

Title: Water

Author: Terra Harmony

Source: ebook from author for review



goodreads...
Elemental powers in the palm of her hand...and it won't be enough to save her. When Kaitlyn Alder is involuntarily introduced to a life of magic, she becomes part of an organization hell-bent on saving the Earth. Just as her new-found life holds promises of purpose, romance, and friendship, the organization divides and a rogue member holds Kaitlyn hostage. Now one of the most terrifying men the human race has to offer stands between her and Earth's survival.

My take...
Kaitlyn is trying to outrace an avalanche but she is not quick enough. Instead of waking up as the dinner to a pack of wolves or even dead, she is waking up in a bed on a tropical island. How did she end up here? And why does she get the feeling it’s not safe? Soon answers start coming, albeit not quick enough, and Kaitlyn is learning new things about herself she never knew. She soon accepts her fate and starts learning how to control her powers. But before she can get a hold of this new life she is kidnapped once again. This time her captor is anything but nice. He has a plan and torture is just the beginning.

So here I was about to start Water and totally thought I was going to get a Tree Hugging, Save the Earth lecture. What I actually got was anything but. It was a fabulous story with a unique storyline. Water was fresh and unlike anything I have ever read before. And the flow and balance of the book was perfect. You got the right amount of suspense, romance, and action. The author gave the right amount of detail in the book too, which left me smiling. (I sometimes will skip over several paragraphs in a book due to too much detail.)

Kaitlyn is a brave, yet slightly sarcastic, woman who rose out of the ashes and only became stronger. She wasn't going to let getting kidnapped bring her down. She got fierce and was a force to be reckoned with. When up against an obstacle she always found a way to overcome it. This is no timid little girl. No way, nuh uh! I loved her and found myself wondering what she (and Micah) was up to while I was laboring away cleaning my house. Don't you hate that...knowing the characters are having more fun in their book while you are cleaning and working? BOO!

But how can I go on and on about how great this book was when there is a rape involved? Do I come off as an insensitive, heartless wretch? And here I am lying in bed at 1 am writing part of this review knowing it won’t wait until morning. This book was great and heartbreaking all at the same time. I hated some of the things that happened in the book (referring to the rape) but the other things made it great. And those great things kept me reading; it as if I couldn’t get enough of the book.

I don’t usually read the excerpts from the next books at the end…but this one I had to. I am completely and utterly ready to get my hands on Air. It is a must! I have to know what happens to these characters I instantly fell in love with. What will happen to Kaitlyn? Will lives be shattered even more? Will love triumph over evil? 

Water is definitely not YA. So please keep that in mind when you are deciding if you want to read it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment