April 22, 2013

Review: CALY'S PIECE by J.M. Miller

Title: CALY'S PIECE

Author: J.M. Miller

Source: ebook from author for review

AMAZON  B&N  

goodreads...
Caly knew her mom would punish her; in fact, she'd planned on it. But a late-night ride in the backseat of a cop car wasn't part of that plan.
Seventeen-year-old Caly Monroe has one passion: graffiti. Her mom hates it. And that's precisely why Caly decides to spray paint a barely dressed portrait of her mom in the middle of town, hoping to change her perspective―or maybe it was just to piss her off.

After Caly's mom picks her up from the police station, she banishes Caly to Gemstone Beach, the run-down bay beach where they used to live each summer. The last time Caly stepped a bare foot onto that beach's crusty sand was five years ago, before her mom opened a bakery and permanently ended their vacations. When Caly returns, she is tasked with manual labor at the boardwalk as punishment; though, she soon discovers the real punishment is facing the people she once cared most about, including her first love, Aden.

While Caly continues to contemplate her artistic future, she has to let her heart choose what, and who, is worth fighting for.


My take...
This book started out pretty slow for me. Like painfully slow. Almost to the point that I was about to put it down and move on to my next read. But once Caly is sent to spend the summer with her grandfather in Gemstone Beach, a place she hasn't been back to in 5 years, the story picked up. I adored the idea of the story but somethings didn't sit well with me when I was finished. 

Ok, here is the deal. Caly can't forget Aden, the first guy she ever kissed. But she hasn't seen him in 5 years ever since her mother quit letting her go spend her summers with her grandfather. My point is...she was 12 when she last set foot at Gemstone Beach. 12. I just can't get over the fact that at 12 you could be so heartbroken over a guy that even the mere thought of starting a new relationship with someone else with the same name is inconceivable  I just don't see it. My daughter is 12 and yes she likes boys but she has other things on her mind then being hung up on one boy for years to come. 

Do you see where I am coming from? Maybe if she was 15 or 16 I can understand. But at 12 years old, yeah, I just didn't get that connection they were supposed to have had. So, being hung up on that one point, made the story a little unbelievable for me. 

One other thing that got me was the ending. What just happened here? A huge reveal is said and a even bigger crime is committed but it all seemed to be wrapped up like a pretty little Christmas present. Wait, what? I need more story...more explaining of what just happened. It was too neat. I felt like I was watching an after school special and soon everyone would break out in a rendition of Kum Ba Yah.

What I did like was the feeling the book brought up for me...memories of summers gone by. I love stories that take place during the summer and it brought forth some great memories of kids I only hung out with at that time of year. I am sitting here smiling still, long after the book is over, remembering those friends and the fun times we had. 

CALY'S PIECE is a cute story if nothing else, but it's just not one I would put in the reread pile. Like every book out there, I know that everyone else will not read the same story I do. They will see the same book but in a different light. So I hope you will give CALY'S PIECE a try and hopefully come to a different conclusion than I did.

For those wanting a little more of Adan...then go HERE to read a bit of his POV.

No comments:

Post a Comment