August 24, 2013

Review: YOU ARE MINE by Janeal Falor


Title: You Are Mine

Author: Janeal Falor

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.

Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.

My take...
This book was really hard for me to get in to. I am not one of those that can take dominating males easily. I cringe at the thought of them being controlling and spitting out their crude comments. And let me tell you, this book was all about them...absolutely filled to the brim. At one time I almost put the book down it was so much. And even after finishing it I still am not sure how I really feel about the book. Let me start with the things I didn't like...
*Of course I didn't like the dominating males. These are not the usual Alpha Males we read about...these are controlling and abusive ones. Ugh. They are so dang pathetic in my eyes. Soon I was ready to pull out the claws and go to town on all their faces. And maybe their genitals, too. How dare they act this way. How dare they treat woman as worthless objects.
*I wasn't crazy about the MC Serena. I know she has been forced to grow up as a weak female, bowing down to all males. But even after all that Zade does for her, she was constantly flinching and thinking he was going to beat her. Nothing he did gave her reason to believe that he would beat her. You'd think after all the time they spent together she would have learned it before the end of the book came. I don't know. I guess it is just me. I have never been in a controlling, abusive relationship...so I cannot relate.
*Another thing was that there was not near enough romance. I am a chick that has to have romance in her stories. HAS TO! And when I read through this one and only saw minor blips of it, I was disappointed. I hated that I had to wait until the end for most of it...which ended up being eh.
Ok, as for the things I did like? I loved the author's writing and how easily it flowed throughout the story. I will definitely be checking out more of her stuff in the future. When a story flows and is well developed, I find it easy to fly through it. This author writes and writes well. A++ for that.
I also loved Zade. So much! I really wish there would have been more of him in the story. He had so much potential to lay on the swoon...so having him in the story more, being a little more romantic, would have been awesome.
So even though I was invested in this book, enough that found myself reading during the day (which is almost unheard of with me), I just wasn't feeling it. I love the time period and the fantasy aspect, but the story itself wasn't enough for me to fall in love with it. Just enough for me to like it. 3 stars for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment