February 9, 2014

Early Review: FORCED AUTONOMY: Phase 2 by Lila Felix


Title: Forced Automny Phase 2

Author: Lila Felix

Source: eARC from author for review



goodreads...
THIS IS A NOVELLA SERIES

The United States has collapsed. Those citizens who are left are in one of two classes. One: Citizens who have undergone forced lobotomies, as mandated by the United Nations. Two: Those who fight against their tyranny.

Petra Kingsley falls under both classes. She falls in line with the drones, pretending her procedure worked. She’s existed among their ranks, hiding in plain sight, being worked to the bone and starved almost to death.

Lawson is a bounty hunter of sorts. His target isn’t the guilty, it’s those who are lost in the folds of a broken society.

When he spots Petra working in the masses, he stops at nothing to help her escape.

But he has no idea who exactly he’s helping—and who will now be hunting them both?

My take...
In these times, the voice of another human, especially one you cared for, was magic and when they spoke to you, you sat on the edge of every word, desperate to jump onto the edge of the next. You longed for the camaraderie of others.
                How things had changed was astounding.
***

Running for your life is not as glamorous as some people think. Ok, nobody really thinks that.  There is sicknesses that have bodily fluids flowing from all ends. Toilet paper and even toilets are hard to come by. In fact, they're damn near extinct. But when the alternative is becoming a manmade working zombie fashioned at the hands of the government...lack of toiletries ain't so bad. Not bad at all.


Petra is up to her eyeballs in sickness at the camp, constantly cleaning and taking care of others who are plagued by the illness. In her free time, she worries about Lawson and if he is ok. She also worries if he feels the same about her as she does him. Or wonders if she is just another Grainer. Someone he can help out of their situation and send on their way to a better life; never to look twice at again. But now that Lawson is back, things turn interesting. Now it is time to see how he really feels...


***
I didn’t know what exactly it was about her that sucked me in and kept me tethered.
                But I wanted nothing else in this tiny life than to be tethered to her.
***


I was so glad to see an ARC of Phase 2 of FORCED AUTOMY sitting in my inbox. I didn't even know she was close to getting it out yet. I immediately dug in late that night and immersed myself back into this crazy, messed up world Felix presented to us for the first time last month. I dig that she isn't sugar coating things and letting characters get away with things that normally would be hard to come by in a world that has fallen. It feels real and it feels raw and it's absolutely disgusting. I love it!  And it doesn't take long to figure out the villain you're sure to hate and the characters you know you are going to love when it comes to this series.


***
I looked up to the sky but it too caused me pain in the form of a bee sting in the corner of my eye. From the position of the sun, I could see it was almost four in the afternoon. Shep taught me that. He also tried to teach me how to make fart noises with my armpits, but I formally declined.
****


The best part was the growing relationship between Lawson and Petra. There wasn't much of a relationship in Phase 1, but like I thought, Felix gave us more of them in Phase 2. More feelings to explore and more needs to be had! I love these two and look forward to just more of them together.

*** 
“Tell me what to do. Tell me to stay. Tell me to go. Tell me that you will be okay if I leave.”
                Selfishly, I answered, “I won’t.”

****

“Why are you so brave?”
                “Me,” I pointed to myself.
                “Yes, you. I think that’s the first thing I liked about you. You were gonna fillet me like a fish with that comb.”
                “I would’ve,” I squinted at him.
                “So tough—and so damned pretty. Let’s go eat frogs.”
***

After finishing this Phase I am desperately needing more. All hell is about to break loose and I am just going to kick back and grab some popcorn...because it is going to be awesome! This series is an addiction I don't want a cure for!


No comments:

Post a Comment