May 4, 2014

Review: LOVE AND DECAY: Season 2, Epi 7 by Rachel Higginson

Title: LOVE AND DECAY Season 2, Episode 7

Author: Rachel Higginson

Source: eARC from author


goodreads...
Zombies- as if that wasn’t enough to ruin any girl’s dream of a happily ever after.

Even for the Zombie Apocalypse, Reagan’s world seems more upside down than usual. Page is still battling an outrageous fever and help has not come. Trapped in a bunker with Kane and his mom while she alone takes care of Page might be her undoing.

Finally, when a knock on the hatch door brings relief, it’s not exactly in the form she had hoped it would be.

The Parker’s have saved her, but the reunion is not as joyful as she had hoped it would be.

While Reagan’s sanity teeters at the edge, her relationship with Hendrix is just as volatile. Kane has accomplished his goal and come between the happy couple.

Can Reagan prove to Hendrix that Kane means nothing to her? Or does she even want to?

Love and Decay, Episode Seven is the seventh episode in Season Two of a novella series in a Dystopian Romance about Zombies, the end of the world and finding someone to share it with.

This story takes place over multiple episodes, with a release date every two weeks. Approximately 20,000 words.

Absolutely...100% do not read my review if you have yet to read Episode 6. You have been warned. There is a spoiler for that episode.

My take...
“Sh*t,” Kane muttered just as a face came into view. “That’s the wrong cavalry.”
Hendrix lowered the muzzle of his gun through the opening. He looked back and forth between us before he said, “You might finally be right about something, Allen.”
***

When help finally comes it is not at all what Reagan had been imagining this whole time. There was no happy reunion. There were no tight hugs from Hendrix and declarations of love. No, there was bitterness, anger, and loathing. All directed towards Kane. And maybe a smidge towards Reagan. Ok a lot towards Reagan. But once the group arrives, all hell breaks loose and tempers rage as the Parker's are hit with something major: Page has been bitten. Things will never be the same for any of them again.

***
So when he didn’t immediately pull me into his arms, I felt a fissure start at the top of my head and crack and split its way all the way to my toes. The action, or really lack of action, triggered a defense mechanism inside me that I didn’t even know I possessed. I probably should have made him hug me… made him pay attention to me. But I didn’t.

Instead, I made a decision that would forever change him… forever change us.
***

Higginson warned me I might possibly be giving this episode a 1 star. The lowest I have ever given one of her books was a 4, and never a LOVE AND DECAY book. So what could possibly happen that would have her thinking I would be upset with her story? Would one of the characters dies? Would I suddenly grow feelings for Kane and then he dies? Would the whole group be taken out and end of story? No. To me I find it much worse than any of those scenarios. And I am not telling you what it is. That is the beauty of having to read it for yourself. (This is the part where fears of 1 stars start floating around Higginson's head.)

Oh Hendrix, you are such a complicated soul. I wish I knew what turmoil was churning in that head of yours right about now. Or maybe I don't. Maybe we are all safer not knowing what he is thinking and feeling. And even though Kane is a huge part of the story, we don't hear much from him. And silence is definitely golden at this point. He doesn't need to speak to see the crater he has made between Reagan and Hendrix. It is obvious that some things won't be like before.

New developments makes for a very interesting storyline. Anything is possible now. There is no telling what could happen and that has me both nervous and excited at the same time.

Absolutely loved the intensity and the fierceness of this episode. No, there will be no talk of 1 star reviews. At least not for me. Actually I am glad that Higginson is shaking things up a tad. Ok, more than a tad. Where this story is going is going to have a lot of people amped up for the next episodes to come. 5 Yeah, Higginson Just Went There Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment