September 25, 2015

Interview with Raye Wagner, Author of CURSE OF THE SPHINX




1. When did you pick up the pencil or start typing out a story for the first time?
I used to love to write when I was in elementary school. I'd write stories about girls who drove too fast, were rude to their elders, and ate whatever they wanted. Somehow, this concerned my teacher and she called my parents for a conference. I stopped writing fiction shortly thereafter.
Decades later, this story of a girl cursed by a Greek god dropped in my head. I've been writing again ever since.

2. Besides writing what is your dream job?
If I wasn't married with children (haha), I would've liked to be a cardiac surgeon. But the life of a surgeon doesn't lend well to raising kids, or spending time with family. Instead, I became a nurse practitioner. I still practice part-time, and I love it.

3. Who is your most favorite character to have written?
I like Apollo. Or rather, I love to hate him. He's brash, possessive, and self-centered. And yet in his mind everything he does makes perfect sense. It's maddening.
But my favorite character is in the second book of the Sphinx series. His name is Xan, and I love him. Like, I LOVE him. Want to marry him. If I met him, I'd probably kiss him, right there, on the spot. Don't tell my husband.

4. Are you afraid to kill off a major character in one of your stories? Are you worried about fan retaliation?
If their death were part of the story, I don't think I'd flinch to tell it.
One of my favorite authors, Leon Uris, has several works where one of the main characters dies at the end. It is heart-wrenching, and yet very true to the character and circumstances. And while I hate it, as I've gotten older, I can appreciate it more. As a young adult, I just hated it, and it left me bereft for days.
I think fan retaliation is usually a sign of their love, and the pain of losing a beloved character. 
Writing a character's death can be hard for the author, too. I have a death scene in a different work-in-progress, and I've put off writing it because it make my heart hurt just to think about.

5. What are you reading at the moment?
Hidden Huntress

Fav Color: Caribbean blue

Fictional Character you'd like to spend the day with: Kitty Fremont (Exodus, Leon Uris) I went into nursing because of her.

Fav food: Depends on the day. I love pizza, beans and rice, salads, and fresh fruit.

Fav song and/or singer: Sarah McLachlan


Guilty pleasure: European chocolate, ice cream, chocolate duet cookies, or Reece Puffs with whole milk

Raye Wagner grew up in the suburbs of Seattle, the second of eight children, and learned to escape chaos through the pages of fiction. As a youth, she read the likes of David Eddings, Leon Uris, and Jane Austen. Inspired by a fictional character, Raye pursued a career in nursing, and thought to help the world one patient at a time. One summer afternoon, a plot dropped into her head, and she started writing. Raye enjoys baking, Tae Kwon Do, puzzles, and the sound of waves lapping at the sand. She lives with her husband and three children in Middle Tennessee.


Greek Mythology is more than myth.
Seventeen year-old Hope Nicholas has spent her entire life on the run. But no one is chasing her. In fact, no one even knows she exists. And she’d like to keep it that way.
It’s safer.
Apollo’s curse has been passed from mother to daughter for generations, and Hope’s mom mentors her through the challenges of growing up a monster, and living a life of isolation. 
But when her mother is ripped from this realm, Hope's life shatters. Is this the fulfillment of the curse, murder from the shadow monsters of the Underworld, or have the demigods finally found her?
Curse of the Sphinx is a blend of action, suspense and romance set in a modern mythological world. It is the first novel in The Sphinx saga, a young adult mythology series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment