February 23, 2017

5* Review: ME AFTER YOU by Mindy Hayes

Title: ME AFTER YOU

Author: Mindy Hayes

Source: eBook from Amazon



goodreads...

Widowed at twenty-five, Sawyer Hartwell has no choice but to return to her hometown. Broke and alone, the intention was to heal and find herself again, but how can she heal in a place filled with so much sorrow and memories she yearns to forget?

Dean Preston has regretted leaving Willowhaven since the day he rode off on his motorcycle six years ago, destroying the only love he had ever known. Returning too late, he's found small comfort in a new life with Lily, but with Sawyer back he's not sure of anything anymore.

The time has come for Sawyer and Dean to face the past, to learn from their mistakes. The road to healing is paved with old wounds, each one threatening to tear them down completely. Carrying their own scars close to their hearts, they must both confront what's gone before or lose their second chance.

The measure of who we are is what we survive. Who we become is up to us.


My take...

He takes a step toward me and I bolt. This can't be happening. I can't handle any more bombs right now. And Dean Preston is a bomb with the power to decimate my entire world.
What's left of it, anyway.
***
Forced to go home to the one place she swore to never return, Sawyer comes face to face with her past. A past full of pain and secrets. A past that is confronting her at every turn. Will Sawyer be able to move on and get past the hurt? Or will it end up consuming all of her?

***
I don't want you. Those were his last words before he walked out of my life completely.
You don't realize what damage those four words can have until you hear them aimed at you from the person you love the most in the world.
***

I hate how long it took for every truth to come out. More than half the book I am wracking my brain to know what it was that made Dean drive Sawyer away and him out of Willowhaven. But I can happily say that it was a love-hate. Because I also loved that it happened. I know it had to happen. Had the author told us from the get go the story would have been done and over. Sort of. Because more secrets spill from the pages when we learn of Dean's mystery send off. Secrets he isn’t prepared to be dealt. It was a book full of secrets, pain and heartbreaks.

I loved Sawyer. I loved that she never discounted her love for either man in her life. She owned up to her feelings and that made her such a wonderful person in my eyes. Had she have told us that her feelings for her husband were never really there I would have quit the book at the moment it was revealed. But I whole heartedly love her for the person she was.

This book pushed and pulled at me. It took and it gave. And when I finished the last sentence I had a smile on my face. ME AFTER YOU was wonderfully written and had such a clean, yet beautiful romance that peppered the pages. This was such an amazing story for any and all. 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment