May 3, 2018

5*Review: BORN by Tara Brown

Title: BORN

Author: Tara Brown

Source: KU


Goodreads…


"It's us and them, Em. There are no regular people anymore."

Ten years ago when the world ended she ran for her life.

Five weeks ago the world she'd hidden from came knocking on the door of her secluded cabin.

Ten days ago she found salvation hiding amongst the dead.

Yesterday she went back for the living.

Today she wonders if she will live to see tomorrow.

What do you do when the world you were born to is gone?

Where do you hide when even your own body isn't safe?

Emma ran when her daddy told her to. She hid like he said she should. He was the first person she turned her back on. The first one she let die.

Ten years has gone by and she still lives by the simple rules he taught her when she was nine years old.

"Don't help anyone. Don't go where other people are unless you have to. Trust no one. Always pull the trigger."

Until one night she hears the worst sound in the world, a knock. A simple, timid knock, on the door to her cabin.

Only the voice of the brave little girl, ready to die for her brother, persuades Emma to open the door.

As her fingers turn the lock, she has a terrible feeling she will regret her decision.

But even as regret fills her world, so do love and companionship. Things she never imagined she would ever have again.

Everything comes at a cost; you decide what you'll pay.



My take…

Mother Earth probably just wants us gone-us and our evil.
I don’t think there’s any good left in us anyway.
Every decision I make out here pushes me one step further away from good. Sometimes I don’t recognize myself out here. I get lost in surviving and forget to just be a girl. A girl Granny and my dad could be proud of.
***

One of my most favorite types of reads are the zombie/apocalyptic. Having already read and loved Brown’s Seventh Day series, I gave BORN a go and I am absolutely gaga over it. So much so, I went and got the second one and immediately started it. Now I am half way through and figured I better write this review before I get to merging the 2 stories.

Since the start of the end 10 yrs ago Emma has been alone. Her rules keep her safe. Her rules have kept her alive. Until someone knocks on her cabin door seeking help. That one simple knock has her rules scattered on the wind and doing things she never would have thought possible just days before.

As with the Seventh Day series, BORN was unique in its own way. The infected in the story are like zombies, but not zombies. It’s the ones that are alive, the Others, that you really have to watch out for.

All in all I really like Emma. She is highly independent and can fend for herself. But there were times I would have liked to have seen her be a little more less rigid when it came to her new family and friends. She was a little too abrasive at times. But I will say, after being alone for so long I can see how her reactions were warranted. She definitely isn’t your normal book chick. Emma has the whole Katniss thing going for her and can be a total badarse.

I am not sure how others feel, as I haven’t read any other reviews, but I adore Will. And it has nothing to do with the fact he shares my husbands name. Ha! No, there is just something about him that had me rootin’ for him throughout the book. He is rough and all his edges are completely raw. But I believe there is more to him than what we are actually seeing.

Fantastic read, BORN was a complete hit with me. Already halfway through the 2nd book, and equally hooked, I can't get enough of this series. 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment