June 6, 2012

Top 10 with Author Jordan Calher

Today Jordan Calher is visiting the blog...her book Brittle just got signed with a publisher *claps happily*


1. guilty pleasure? watching people who race in front of me and cut me off in the street get stopped my a red light.
2. 1 book you could read over and over? Herman Hesse -- DEMIAN
3. fictional character you would love to spend the day with? the genie in Aladdin's lamp
4. one thing you cannot leave the house without? besides my clothes...my mp3 player
5. fav song/singer? today it's "Wildfire" by SUBTRKT
6. hobby? travel.
7. fave movie/actor and/or actress? I love the early Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys would be his shining moment)
8. one place you would love to visit? Atlantis
9. fav food? Indian food -- any kind, as long as it's really spicy
10. pet peeve? people who shut their eyes to something because they don't WANT it to be true
Blurb...
There's something sinister about the sound of a shovel digging, digging, digging in the middle of a dark, silent night.
---
A diabetic since freshman year, the control Sara Jacobs needs to survive is obliterated when she unleashes Voodoo barons of the afterlife from the dark witch trial history of her hometown -- Andover, Massachusetts. Past and present blend and ignite as her life crumbles beyond recognition, shattered by the same forbidden forces she is drawn to embrace: magic, the supernatural, and the demon raging uncontrolled in her veins. Rewired by magic, she revisits and dominates her petty high school world -- paybacks to authority, and a little help with that crush from freshman year.

From a gossip-crazed high school to a moonless limbo of tombstone covered hills, BRITTLE is what happens when Sara stops being the victim.
 
Excerpt...
 
A searing bolt of lightning blasted from the sky so hard that more shards of glass fell out of the window frame. A thundering army of raindrops attacked the world outside, pushing a cool wind through the room we were in. A sharp smell of sulfur from the flares burned in my nose.
I took the first flare and put it on the ground above my dad's head. “This is north.” I had no idea if a compass would agree with me, but I didn't care. It could have been confidence, or it could have been apathy. I said it was north, so it was north. I planted another one to his left and said, “This is east.” Two more, below his feet and to his right. “South, west.”
I faced my dad and held my hands together in front of me, above my head. I moved them down and away from each other to make a circle, bringing them together again at the bottom.
“Bon voyage, mon père.”
I turned away and walked past Skyler, back to the window.
“We're leaving?” He wasn't moving. “Sara, come on. This is insane. You can't leave four lit flares in the basement of an unoccupied building. The place will go up in flames. We'll be in jail till we're fifty.”
I was halfway through the window. I stopped and turned my head. Rain dripped down my face in little streams.
“Then let it burn.”

Links to get in touch with Jordan...



 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12 June, 2012

    ...a shovel digging, digging, digging in the middle of a dark, silent night.

    Reading Jordan Calher, is like eating a salad made of ingredients you'd never imagine could go together, but you're glad someone else did.

    ReplyDelete