November 24, 2012

Mini Review: Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer



Title: Night of the Purple Moon

Author: Scott Cramer

Source: ebook from author for review



goodreads...
The epidemic strikes only those who have passed through puberty.

Abby Leigh is looking forward to watching the moon turn purple. For months, astronomers have been predicting that Earth will pass through the tail of a comet. They say that people will see colorful sunsets and, best of all, a purple moon.

But nobody has predicted the lightning-fast epidemic that sweeps across the planet on the night of the purple moon. The comet brings space dust with it that contains germs that attack human hormones. Older teens and adults die within hours of exposure.

On a small island off the coast of Maine, Abby must help her brother and baby sister survive in this new world, but all the while she has a ticking time bomb inside of her -- adolescence.

My mini take...
"Puberty was a ticking time bomb planted in each and every teen. The older you were the louder and faster it ticked."

The night the comet streaked across the sky was the beginning of the end.  Everyone was looking forward to it and the 2 weeks of having a purple moon. What no one imagined was the destruction it left behind: death to all those that are over the age of puberty.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book. Me not being absolutely crazy about books that come from younger kids perspectives; I found it really wasn't so bad. Only a handful of the kids were annoying and luckily we don’t have to deal much with them. I will also mention that there is also a lot of sad moments in the book that will tug at your heart strings.

Night of the Purple Moon provided everything a good book should: it kept my interest throughout the book, it gave the readers good characters to follow, and it concluded with an ending that left me wanting to read the 2nd book. Now I wasn’t blown away with the story, but I definitely enjoyed it. Cramer did a great job and I think those who enjoy reading MG & younger YA books will really enjoy this one. Also if you like apocalyptic stories (like me) this one is perfect for you. So pick up Night of the Purple Moon and let me know what you thought of it when you are done.

Side note: I am a little creeped out by the girl on the cover. I think that threw me off a little somehow. The girl looks like an alien to me. I don’t know, that’s just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment