November 18, 2012

Review: Eden's Root by Rachel Fisher



Title: Eden's Root

Author: Rachel Fisher

Source: ebook from author for honest review


goodreads...
The year is 2033 and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional.

My take...
I liked this story and then there were some parts I wasn't crazy about...so I am going break down my review in 3 parts. Starting with the first 100 pages…I was so intrigued with the story line. I loved hearing about how the world had slowly been killing itself due to the food it was creating and consuming. What's weird is this fiction is hovering freakishly close to real life. It's a scary thing. But hearing how it all started and how it all went wrong was plain creepy, yet cool. My hubs has told me I have a very unhealthy appetite for apocalyptic stories. Am I one of those Doomsday Preppers? Nope. But I would like to think I could hold my own for a bit if something were to happen.

Ok, next part is the middle 100 pages. With this section of the book, I found a little boring. This is the part where the Family were either traveling or holding up in an old farm house for the winter. Just not a lot happened here and I also realized I didn't relate much to Fi, the Family's Leader. Here is a 14 yr old girl telling grown adults what to do. And the adults were all like 'Whatever you say'...well in so many words. I just don't think I would like a 14yr old girl telling me what to do…experience or not. I will say that Fi is sort of like a young fierce Katniss. But not much happens in this time frame during the story so sometimes I would skip over some paragraphs just to get to the next scene. I found there was a lot of unnecessary detail in this part…and I am not fond of a lot of detail woven into books.

The last 100 pages is where it picked up again and in such a good way. Fi is now 15 and I found myself actually enjoying her character a little more, especially when she is introduced to a new character. He is not really new to the readers because he has had a few scenes throughout the book where we got his POV. But things start happening between them and with the Family. It gets pretty exciting for them and a lot happens. Plus the romance was very cute and I loved those moments. I am a pushover for good romance scene.

So there you have it. I recommend Eden’s Root to anyone who enjoys a good apocalyptic style read with a little time on your hands. Eden’s Root is a rather long read…at least for my taste it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment