June 9, 2013

Review: KISSING FIRE by A.M. Hargrove

Title: KISSING FIRE

Author: A.M. Hargrove

Source: ebook from author


goodreads...
Preston Mitchell, undercover DEA agent, has led a life of danger and obscurity. Knowing his job would never allow a normal relationship, he’s never opened himself up to any woman...that is until the lovely Avery Middleton stumbles into his life.

To the outsider, Avery has it all...wealth, family, connections and a great job. But on the inside, she’s miserable. Her social life is in the dumpster, the kooky gal next door has some zany plans for her and her selfish mother drives Avery to the point of insanity. Her only salvation is to get out of Charleston and start a new life. So that’s precisely what she does. She moves to Seattle and steps right into the path of hot and sexy, Preston.

Unfortunately for both of them, Avery ends up being in the wrong place at the wrong time and is now running for her life. But she’s not alone. She has a gorgeous DEA agent protecting her and suddenly finds herself irresistibly captivated by him. There’s only one problem. Preston carries more than his share of mental baggage, courtesy of his job. His covert missions have put him in places and situations he can barely stand to think about. Avery rocks Preston’s world because she is nothing like anyone he’s ever met and something extraordinary begins to happen between them. But can their love survive in this world, where danger, intrigue and deception lurk on every corner?

My take...
Avery is heading off to Seattle to start making a name for herself. She wants to see if she can make it on her own without being tied to the Middleton name. So she lands herself a job with a different company and moves to Seattle to make a go of it. Just a few days in and she meets 'Miles' at her brother's house and she is smitten as a kitten with him. (Literally. Read the book...you'll understand.) But Miles has lots of baggage and skeletons in his closest that he has yet to share with anyone. And he is not about to taint the only perfect thing to come along in his messed up life. Will these two be able to overcome their pasts and make a future together? Or will their demons rear their ugly head and make it nearly impossible?
I just adore the flip out of this series. But I will say this one irk on my nerves a bit. Not tenough for me to hate it. Oh no. I really liked it. But I think I am just not a big fan of Avery. I did love that she is a normal girl…and by normal I mean she had some meat on her bones. She is not the skinny type we are used to reading about. And that was refreshing. What I didn’t care for was her attitude halfway through the book. When a big secret is revealed she treated it as if it was twenty times worse. When in reality, I didn't think it was that bad. Then she chats with her brother about it all  and tries to justify her actions and compare them to his past troubles. I am sorry but they do not compare in any way. He actually lost someone and lived in hell for 2 years believing his girlfriend was dead. This secret and his loss do not equal up in my eyes. So to me, I think a little bit of her sheltered upbringing was showing.
But how I love me some Preston (also known as Miles in the beginning). I hurt for his past that was slowly revealed over time. The poor guy had been through such hell and anguish it is inconceivable to think about. I truly cannot wrap my mind around it. To say he was dedicated to a job is an understatement. Oh my heart. It is just that bad. But he is stronger in the end for it, even though he thinks himself as an unworthy soul. 
What is awesome about this story is you don’t have to have read the 1st two in the series to understand this book. But I will tell you that you will be missing out big time if you don’t read them. Each one tells a different story with a different Middleton family member. And each one is…well, they are amazing. I think book 2 has been my favorite so far. 
I recommend this book (and series) most definitely. Lots of steamy romance, lots of heartbreak, and lots of suspense! Hargrove is an excellent storyteller and has one heck of an imagination. So yeah, go get this series,  kick back for a bit, and drink up the goodness. 

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! What a surprise for me when I clicked on your blog today and found KF as your review for the day! ((Hugs)) to you for the feature and an extra big smushy ((Hug)) for the Preston Love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete