September 28, 2013

Review: UNSPOKEN by Jen Frederick


Title: UNSPOKEN

Author: Jen Frederick

Source: ebook from author


goodreads...
Whore. Slut. Typhoid Mary.

I've been called all these at Central College. One drunken night, one act of irresponsible behavior, and my reputation was ruined. Guys labeled me as easy and girls shied away. To cope, I stayed away from Central social life and away from Central men, so why is it that my new biology lab partner is so irresistible to me?

He's everything I shouldn't want. A former Marine involved in illegal fighting with a quick trigger temper and an easy smile for all the women. His fists aren't the danger to me, though, it's his charm. He's sliding his way into my heart and I'm afraid that he's going to be the one to break me.

Impulsive. Unthinking. Hot tempered.

I allow instinct to rule my behavior. If it feels good, do it, has been my motto because if I spend too much time thinking, I'll begin to remember exactly where I came from. At Central College, I've got fighting and I've got women and I thought I was satisfied until I met her.

She's everything I didn't realize I wanted and the more time I spend with her, the more I want her. But she's been hurt too much in the past and I don't want to be the one to break her. I know I should walk away, but I just can't.

My take...
When you are the butt of every perverted, sexual, venereal carrying disease joke on campus, you find ways to blend; to hide. AM only goes to campus for her classes and makes sure to never put herself in the spot light. She has vowed to never date another Central student as long as she lives. She just wants to get her schooling done and make something of herself so she can get her mother out from under her father's thumb.

Bo is like a live wire...constantly sparking. Never able to sit still...always looking for his next fight to blow off a little frustration. And he has years of frustration to vent. He had a crappy upbringing by an even crappier father. Getting far away from that vile man and becoming a Marine was the best thing he could have done. But now that he is out, he finds himself following his best friend to Central College. With no real plans for his future, he fights. But one cute brunette is about to change everything he has ever known.

Wow. Just wow. I was super excited that Frederick allowed me to review another one of her books. Once I finished UNDECLARED I knew I had to read UNSPOKEN. I loved her writing and her characters, so I had to have more. But I will admit I was a little hesitant. I've been here before. Loving a first book so very much, and then crushed when the 2nd book falls flat. Yep, been there too many times. But not with this one. In fact, I think...nay...I know I loved it more than the first.

UNSPOKEN is definitely a little darker and a little deeper than UNDECLARED, but I liked that. Maybe if it had been a lighter read I might now be sitting here writing a 5 star review. I don’t know. All I do know is it worked for this one. And the characters were brilliant. I think AM is one of those characters that readers will connect and relate to. I am sure everyone has been the brunt of a bad rumor at least once in their life. And we all know the hurtful feelings it can bring on. So seeing her face these rumors and take them head on…should prove be a very uplifting message for those of us who have been in her shoes one way or another.

I should also mention how much I loved Bo. He and Noah are so different, even though they’ve been friends since the 7th grade and been each other’s battle buddy. It is nice going in to a series where each book is about a different character, and the scenes and the characters don’t run parallel to the first book. I have seen that many times before too. These characters have a different story to tell and trust me when I say you will want to hear it.

Absolutely another must read full of anger, lies, and steaminess! And I look forward to her next book, UNEXPECTED. Whose book will it be? Oh the possibilities are endless and I would be happy with any of the guys. From the looks of things…this could be one long, fabulous series. I feel there is lots of drama and heartache needing to be told just in the guy’s house alone. And I am all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment