June 5, 2014

Interview with Collen Vanderlinden, Author of the HIDDEN Series.


Colleen Vanderlinden is the author of Hidden, an urban fantasy series set in modern-day Detroit. 

She is also the author of "Edible Gardening for the Midwest" and "Vegetable Gardening for the Midwest," published by Lone Pine Publishing. She has written for TreeHugger, Planet Green, About.com, Mother Earth News, and The Northern Gardener.

She lives in the Detroit area with her husband, kids, and two crabby calico kitties. 


*What would you be doing right now if you were not an author?
  I would very likely still be writing about gardening and green living, and living the endless search to find decently-paid freelancing work.

*5 years ago: what were you doing?
 I was a mom to a newborn, and I had my 2nd book about gardening out by Lone Pine Publishing. I wrote about gardening for About.com and a few other sites and did some copyediting on the side. I had also just started the first draft of what became "Lost Girl: Hidden, Book One."

*Do you have a certain writing ritual?
I wake up around 4:00 in the morning to get a few hours of writing time in before the kids are all up and around. Coffee is necessary. I read through the previous day's writing, and usually that gets me into the right frame of mind to get going on the next part of my work-in-progress. I start up the current book's playlist (because music, like coffee, is absolutely necessary) and then I write until I meet my word count for the day.

*What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
I've had a comment or two about how there wasn't enough world-building in "Hidden."

*Ever fangirled over another author? Who was it?
Oh, heck yeah. I fangirl on a regular basis over Marjorie Liu and Elizabeth Hunter, as well as comic book writers Kelly Sue DeConnick and Gail Simone.

*Is there an author you'd like to meet?
I'd love to meet Elizabeth Hunter. She's an amazing writer and a very generous person. My journey as an indie has been a lot easier because of things I've learned from her.

*Biggest writing pet peeve?
When you come up with a huge, awesome, complete outline and then you start writing and it just doesn't freaking work. I hate that. (Going through it right now, actually. Sigh.)

* Do you read other's reviews of your books?
I do. There are some days I wish I didn't read them, but I appreciate the fact that readers make an effort to share their thoughts about my work. It means a lot to me.

Fun Five:

Fav Color
Green

Fictional Character you'd like to spend the day with?
Wonder Woman

Fav food
Does coffee count as a food?

Fav song and/or singer
This is a tough one. Nirvana is my all-time favorite band, but I listen to a lot of different music.

Guilty pleasure
 World of Warcraft!





No comments:

Post a Comment