May 30, 2015

Interview: James Morris, Author of WHAT LIES WITHIN #PreOrder


*What would you be doing right now if you were not an author? 
I’ve always been a writer. Maybe not a paid writer, but it’s where my passion always was. Now, making a living is an entirely different thing. And for that, I’ve had a variety of jobs, both good and bad, but I like to think they’ve provided me with material for use down the road.


*5 years ago: what were you doing?
 I was working on a novel that has yet to see the light of day. But that novel lead me to write another, and then another, and I learned more with each one.



*Do you have a certain writing ritual? 
Not really. I think some rituals are just procrastination wrapped in “well, I need this before I do that.” The key is just to do it. Sometimes you have to crank the engine to get the words to come out rather than waiting for them to flow freely.



*What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? 
I don’t think there’s anything tougher on a writer, or at least on me, than my own inner critic. Sometimes it stops you in its tracks. Sometimes getting that horrible draft – and knowing it’s horrible – is the key to moving forward on a better draft, and so on.



*Is there an author you'd like to meet? 
No, and not because I don’t think they’re nice people. I just think it’s the book that’s important and how it makes you feel as opposed to the person who wrote it. 



*Biggest writing pet peeve?
My own pet peeve is sometimes the way I work. I usually write on the computer, but then I edit on paper. There’s something that uses a different part of the brain for me. I use a lot of paper. (I recycle, but still).


Do you read other's reviews of your books? 
Since this will be my first novel garnering reviews, I’m gonna have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I’d like to think no – not because I don’t care – I do. Anyone would. But there’s nothing I can change, good or bad, based on feedback.


Fav Color 
Purple.


Fictional Character you'd like to spend the day with? 
How weird is it if I said Darth Vader?


Fav food 
Sushi.


Fav song and/or singer
I’ve always been a fan of early Peter Gabriel.
  

Guilty pleasure 
Not sure it’s a guilty pleasure or not, but I do like “House Hunters Renovation” and watching the choices I’d make versus the ones the owners of the home do.



James Morris is a former television writer who now works in digital media. When not writing, you can find him scoping out the latest sushi spot, watching 'House Hunters Renovation', or trying new recipes in the kitchen. He lives with his wife and dog in Los Angeles.




"You’re going to die"
A single text message and normal high school senior Shelley Marano’s world is upended. Discovering she is adopted sends Shelley on a journey to uncover her past, but she gets more than she bargained for when she learns she was part of a horrific experiment to test the theory of nature versus nurture.
In a culture where young people are committing unspeakable acts of of violence, Shelley worries she may be one of the killers. With her life and the lives of her friends in the balance, one thing is certain: she will never be the same.



WHAT LIES WITHIN will release June 2nd. You can preorder the book HERE at Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment