October 16, 2013

Review: NEVER LET YOU FALL by Michele G. Miller

Title: Never Let You Fall

Author: Michele G. Miller

Source: ebook from author for review


goodreads...
Orphaned at 7, with no memory of her past or the family she lost, 17 year old Skye Martin is tired of being alone and afraid. After a hard night of partying, Skye wakes up alone in an unfamiliar hotel. All she can remember is the deep voice of her rescuer and his promise: “I am safe.”

Xander has been tasked with watching Skye from afar for the past two years, in order to keep her safe from the demons that hunt her. An easy job - until a pair of red glowing eyes reveal themselves to Skye, and Xander, in a moment of weakness, is forced to break his cover to protect her. Never good at trusting people, Skye is inexplicably drawn to Xander and the immediate bond she feels for him. However, Xander is filled with secrets and ties to her past that threaten to thrust Skye into a world she could never imagine existed…

As she begins to unravel the truth about who Xander is and the details surrounding her family, she discovers that she might just be the key to saving everything... And, most importantly, she finds that there has always been someone by her side who would never let her fall…

My take...
 Skye lost her parents 10 years ago but doesn't remember them or much of how it happened; only what bits the police were able to tell her. And it wasn't much. Since then she has been living in group homes because no one wants a little girl whose past is surrounded by such grief and is plagued with nightmares.

When she meets Xander her hopeless life seems to fall into line. Finally she feels at peace even though her life is anything but. When she is with him she doesn't fear the dreams. She doesn't fear her uncertain future...her life seems to make a little bit of sense.

I was really taken with this story. I enjoy books that deal with parallel universes and other dimensions. Especially when they cross over to a simpler time. But I felt the first of the story was a bit too rushed. It would have been nicer to get to know some of the characters in the beginning before being thrown into a whirl wind of a story.

Once the journey takes them to over to the new dimension, the story seems to take off from there and things really get interesting. I would be sitting, wondering about these characters when I wasn't with them. What was going on with the dreams? Can they really trust certain people? Will Xander and Skye be able to be together?

I adored Xander and his love for Skye. You can tell he loves her so much, even if it isn't supposed to be. Skye wasn't too bad a character herself. I really was expecting a more high maintenance, drama queen after the way the books started. But I was happy to see she wasn't that way at all. I guess you can take the girl out of Tyalbrook but you can't take Tyalbrook out of the girl.

All in all, this was a great read that kept my interest and had me pulled in from the beginning. Not to mention the romance was spot on. I look forward to reading book 2, NEVER LET YOU GO, and seeing what happened with Skye.

Fav lines...

I'd never wanted anything like I wanted Xander. I wanted to stay by his side forever. The feelings I got when he was near, the tingling warmth in my heart, in my chest...my whole body sang when he was near. That couldn't be nothing. It couldn't be just gratitude. 
*** 
I fell asleep with the taste of his lips still on mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment