June 27, 2014

Interview with Melissa Veracruz, Author of ABSOLUTELY

Please welcome Melissa Veracruz to the blog!

I'm a new author who has been an avid reader my whole life. In another life, had things gone differently or if I'd figured it all out sooner, I'd be a librarian right now. As it is, I've tried my hand at teaching (epic fail BTW) and was pretty ok at being a secretary and graphics designer (they kept me around for lots of years...I had to be decent at it, right?).
Now, I'm a mother of three, staying at home and writing my heart out.


*What would you be doing right now if you were not an author?
I would be a mom. Mom mom mom. If I did have a job, it’d be substitute teaching.

*5 years ago: what were you doing?

Failing miserably at teaching. Some say it was circumstances, but I never bounced back 

*Do you have a certain writing ritual?

Yes, I have to use cheap, Dollar Store pens. Have to. Anything else is anathema. Until something else comes along that’s as good for a buck. Otherwise, I can write anywhere, any time.

*What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?

Um, I’ve only been at this for a little while, but one of my beta readers asked if my MC guy was autistic. Yeah, I had to do some rewrites, because he did seem autistic. (My son sits quite nicely on the spectrum somewhere so maybe I was modeling him after him??)

*Ever fangirled over another author? Who was it?

Oh LAWD yes. Jennifer L. Armentrout. I think I nearly peed my pants when she replied to one of my tweets. Don’t tell her that.

*Is there an author you'd like to meet?

Despite my fangirling, I’d lovelovelove to meet Tamora Pierce or Robin McKinley, both of whom influenced my reading early on.

*Biggest writing pet peeve?

Being midscene and falling asleep while trying to imagine my scene.

* Do you read other's reviews of your books?

Yeah. And I wanna press like on each and every one. (There’s only like five right now, so… yeah.)


Fun Five:

Fav Color 
Green

Fictional Character you'd like to spend the day with? 
Aerin from Hero and the Crown

Fav food 
Pizza from Sam’s

Fav song and/or singer 
It’s Little Green Cars right now. Most of their songs are magic.

Guilty pleasure 
Judge Judy. They don’t keep her here because she’s pretty (but I think she is!)





One mistake sends Ashlyn Ramos plummeting from popular naiveté and into the outskirts of the social order. She’s had a great life so far. So many things were going right! Now, she has a wrecked car, a parentally confiscated cell phone, and ex-friends making life miserable. Not the way she wanted to start the best year of her life. And walking to school was totally going to suck. Until she saw him on the sidewalk ahead of her. 

Kiel Fuller has a past he’d prefer to keep to himself. He’s had several rough years. His own fault, admittedly, for screwing up. Now, he’s settled in a small town and ready to make the most of senior year. However, his dad is borrowing his Jeep. Walking to school won’t suck too much, though. He could blast his iPod and think. What he didn’t count on was Ashlyn walking up beside him. 

It is not love at first walk. Kiel’s heard the rumors about her. And Ashlyn can’t make herself heard over his blaring iPod. They’re both facing demons, but they learn it’s better to face them together. 

Young Adult audience, 13+. For conversations, language, and situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment